Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Master of Arts Degree Program


A Master’s degree in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies prepares students for graduate work and professional training in a variety of fields.  Students who earn an M.A. in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies may apply for further graduate study in women’s studies doctoral programs, or profession study in law, social welfare, or public administration.  They also find employment in community agencies (women’s centers, counseling centers, battered women’s shelters, rape crisis centers, women’s health centers, and women’s vocational agencies), in diversity education (in schools, government agencies, and business), and with campus-based women’s centers.

Program Leading to the Master of Arts in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
(32 Credits Minimum)

  1. Foundations in Women's Studies (12-14 credits):
    Wss 510 Graduate Orientation in Women’s Studies (1-2)
    Wss 565 Feminist Theory (4)
    Wss 590 Research Seminar in Women’s Studies (4)
    Wss 690 MA Final Project (3-4)
  2. Coherent Field of Study (9-12 credits)
    Three courses that form a coherent field of study and that are chosen in consultation with the Graduate Director.

  3. Intersectionality (3-4 credits)
    One graduate course that intersects gender with race, class, sexuality, and/or nationality.

  4. Interdisciplinarity (3-8 credits)
    In consultation with the Graduate Director, students are required to develop their interdisciplinary skills by taking at least one graduate course in a discipline that is new to them.

Please note: This program offers an internship, field experience, study abroad component, or clinical experience in the course listing as an option to fulfill course requirements. Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of certain academic programs and/or to meet licensure requirements for certain professions. If you have concerns about this matter please contact the Dean’s Office of your intended academic program.