Individual and Couples Counseling

Common Concerns

Students visit the Counseling and Psychological Services for a variety of reasons. Some concerns are listed below:

  • Transitioning into and out of college
  • Relationship difficulties
  • Sleep problems
  • Stress and anxiety
  • Depression
  • Identity issues and experiences such as those pertaining to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, disability, and religion
  • Acculturation issues including migration and adjustment to new cultures

Individual Counseling

Are you experiencing any of the common concerns (right panel on this page)? Our counselors, who are licensed psychologists or psychologists in training, are able to help students with a range of concerns. As a UAlbany student, you are able to access our individual counseling services by making an appointment. Costs are already covered by student activity fees, so there are no "out of pocket" payments. If services at Counseling and Psychological Services are not a good match for you, we can also provide referrals to services in the community.

Couples Counseling

Many students are balancing school with other committments, like relationships. If your main concern is relationship difficulties with your significant other, couples counseling may be right for you. As long as one person in the couple is a UAlbany student, Counseling and Psychological Services offers counseling to help with communication and relationship skills.

How to Make an Appointment

To schedule an appointment, please call us at 518-442-5800.


At Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), we are committed to making sure that what you tell us in counseling does not leave our office. Our records at CAPS are separate from your academic record. In instances where safety is concerned, there are some times when we do have to disclose confidential information to protect human life or safety.

These include: (1) When a client is in immediate danger of causing harm to self or someone else (as in the case of suicide), relevant others may be notified to secure safety. In addition, if such harm is likely, New York state law may require a report to the County Director of Community Services possibly impacting the client's current and future firearm ownership; (2) The clinician must report any incident of current child or elder abuse, neglect, or maltreatment in order to protect the individuals involved; (3) In the adjudication of legal matters, the court may subpoena your clinician or your clinical records. Otherwise, written authorization will be obtained from you before disclosing confidential information about you.