Travel Procedure Update

Please see communication about business travel for FY 2021-22 - Travel Communication - FY 2021-22.pdf

Download the Travel Pre Approval Form.  This form should be completed and approved for all travel prior to making any arrangements.

Please use the State Travel Voucher under the FORMS link for all travel voucher reimbursements.


Rental Policy Update:

Please review the recent announcement go to or

Hertz is the sole car rental agency on NYS Contract. Reservation link is provided below. Our Contract Code is automatically loaded.

The replacement contract with Enterprise is in progress.

Enterprise had initially agreed, as a courtesy, to honor existing reservations and hold their pricing through December 31, 2019. They have since moved this date to February 29, 2020. Enterprise may give these same prices to new reservations. That is between them and the Authorized User. We want to be clear – that regardless of the type of reservation (existing or new) neither of these types of rentals are being rented ‘under’ an OGS contract, because the OGS Contract with Enterprise expired on October 18th

General Travel Procedures

The Reimbursement Rate Schedule provides the current reimbursement rates and related guidelines. Updates of the schedule are issued to departments as needed.

The travel regulations are complex. If there is a need to obtain additional information or clarification of items in this section, please contact the Accounting Office Travel Unit (518-437-3826).  Please use the State Travel Voucher form under the FORMS link instead of the link below. 


  1. Reimbursement Rate Schedule 
  2. Foreign Per Diem Rates
  3. Domestic Per Diem Rates
  4. Statement of Automobile Travel 
  5. New York State Travel Voucher 
  6. New York State Tax Exemption Certificate
  7. New Passport Requirements for Travelers
  8. NY State and Locate Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate ST-129

FAA Ban on MacBook Pros

Official Station, Related Allowances and Limitations

An employee's official station is used to determine allowable travel expense reimbursement. Designation of an employee's official station will be established in the best interest of the State and University and not the convenience of the employee.

Employees are in travel status when they are on official business and more than 35 miles from their official station or place of residence. Employees can be reimbursed for mileage, tolls, or parking costs but will not be allowed meals or lodging within 35 miles of their official station or place of residence.

Travel must be by the most economic method. A person traveling by an indirect route not associated with the purpose of the trip shall personally assume any extra costs incurred. No transportation costs will be allowed between an employee's residence and his or her official station.

New York State's published reimbursement rates for employee travel are the maximum amounts that can be paid. Account managers can allow for reimbursement at less than the full reimbursement rates by indicating such on the travel voucher.

The following conditions must be met for a State employee to be reimbursed from State funds.

  1. The travel involved is so integrally related to the duties of the employee that failure to travel would prohibit the employee from performing the primary duties of his or her position. Generally, attendance at conferences or seminars will be approved only if the individual is making a presentation or serving on a committee requiring his or her attendance.
  2. Failure to approve such travel would clearly result in a loss of income to the State. The measure of loss of income to the State is to be a net loss of income after any State expenditures for travel, lodging per diem, or participation fee are considered.
  3. The requested travel is required by the terms of a contract or grant.

Students and Non-Employees

University students may be reimbursed for travel when the trip is necessary for University purposes. Reimbursement will not be made for travel undertaken to support a student's educational program.

Occasionally, the need may arise to support the travel expenses of an individual who is not a State employee but who incurs expenses while performing services which benefit the University. For these individuals, the notation "Non-State Employee" should be entered in the "Title" section of the Travel Voucher. The document should specify the relationship of the traveler to the State and a description of the University work to be done. Reimbursement will be based on the rates and other policies specified in the Reimbursement Rate Schedule. (Also see Section - Interviewee Travel Expenses).

Travel Vouchers for personal reimbursement should be completed and sent to Jeanne Heiserman in MSC309.

Travel reconciliations on the travel card should be sent to Melinda Schissler in MSC326.


Relocation Expenses:

A.  The basic cost of moving household goods and personal effects from the appointee's residence at the time of the initial appointment to the residence located near the new place of employment, provided that the mover used a carrier authorized by the New York State Department of Transportation or the Interstate Commerce Commission to perform such a service.

       1.  Household goods are defined as all reasonable items of furniture, furnishing, clothing, appliances, tools and equipment, including necessary expenditures for handling such items as pianos, refrigerators, and deep freezers.

       2.  Not included are such items as automobiles and other motor vehicles, trailers other than house trailers used as an appointee's residence; building materials; animals raised for profit, farming equipment, livestock, boats; belongings not the property of the appointee's immediate family; and belongings related to commercial enterprises engaged in by the appointee or his/her family.

       3.  The cost of additional insurance above the lowest valuation rate charged.

       4. No reimbursement shall be provided for household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds.

B.  The cost of packing and/or unpacking household and personal effects if such services provided by the carrier are used.

C.  The cost of transportation of the appointee and his/her family to the new location, at the rate paid by New York State for the use of personally-owned automobiles for official business, the mileage to be measured by the shortest highway route between the two places of residence.  Payment shall be made at such rate for one automobile, regardless of the number owned, or actual method of transportation used.

D.  Expenses other than those enumerated above incurred by the appointee as a result of relocation shall not be subject to reimbursement.

Maximum amount reimbursed is $3000.00 unless otherwise approved for an increase by the Vice President or University Controller.  Please attach a copy of the official appointment letter signed by the Vice President to the voucher.

-Mileage or gas are reimbursed if requested.  Both cannot be reimbursed, One option should be chosen for one car.

-Complete a travel voucher with new address, stating the reason is relocation expense, attach all copies of personally paid receipts, proof of payment of these receipts, statement of automobile mileage (if chosen). Supervisors signature and account number should be printed at bottom of voucher.

-No lodging receipts are reimbursed.

-No meals are reimbursed.


Ban on Nonessential Travel to Mississippi 

New York State Executive Order 156 bans all non-essential travel to the state of Mississippi. 

This travel ban applies to all travel funded by the University, State or Research Foundation, including travel funded from State IFR or Research Foundation multiple sponsor accounts, or by another New York State agency. 

Travel through an airport located in Mississippi to a final destination outside of Mississippi is allowed, so long as there is no overnight layover in Mississippi. However, when possible and cost effective, travelers should avoid making airline connections through a Mississippi airport. 

To comply with this Executive Order, do not schedule, make deposits or incur any expenses related to travel to Mississippi. 

For questions related to state-funded travel, please contact University Controller Gerard Marino at [email protected]

For travel funded by the Research Foundation, please contact the Sponsored Programs Administration.