Responsibilities and Duties
- Consultation regarding any proposed change in policies and regulations
- Consultation on major University administrative reorganizations and appointments
- Placement of items of business on the agenda of a meeting of the Faculty
- Call for a faculty referendum on any issue
- Creation of councils and committees as necessary or useful in fulfilling its functions
The University Senate relies on the sustained engagement of the teaching/professional faculty and students to achieve the goals of the University through participation in shared governance. Shared governance entails a collaborative decision making process, including a frank and open dialogue among the teaching/professional faculty and students to advance all facets of the University’s mission. The intention of shared governance is to promote and establish the policies and practices that best serve the needs of our community and most effectively advance the programs, initiatives, and stature of the University at Albany.