Sorrell Chesin Research Award
Apply Now for the Sorrell Chesin Research Award - applications will open on January 27, 2023
Applications will be accepted beginning Friday, January 27 through Sunday, March 5
Interested in applying but have some questions? Check out this CURCE YouTube video
The Sorrell Chesin Research Award was established in 2018 to encourage full-time undergraduate students to undertake a research experience in the Life Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, and/or related disciplines), and to recognize those who are engaged in research under the direction of a University at Albany Faculty member. Selected recipients will receive a $500 award, and is open to Juniors and Seniors. Please see 'Criteria for Consideration' for additional requirements and specific information.
Dr. Chesin recognizes the importance of such experiences. During his undergraduate years at SUNY Geneseo, Dr. Chesin participated in a research project under the direction of his Psychology Professor, Richard Bloomer.
This experience became an important component throughout his career in higher education, something that he has promoted for many years at institutions and organizations that are engaged in research, including at UAlbany.
Past Recipients of the Sorrell Chesin Research Award
Criteria for Consideration for the Sorrell Chesin Research Award
- Must be a full-time (12 credits or more) matriculated Junior or Senior
- Juniors (Class of 2024) - Matriculated at UAlbany in 2020-2021
- Seniors (Class of 2023) - Matriculated at UAlbany in 2019-2020
- Students must be engaged in Life Sciences research (Biology, Chemistry, and/or related disciplines) under the direction or mentorship of a University at Albany Faculty member
- Only Undergraduate students are eligible
- Students must be actively engaged in the research project in the Spring 2023 semester
- Students must complete the full online application no later than 11:59 PM on Sunday, March 5, 2023
- Students must provide the following materials at the time of application:
- An abstract of the research project
- The name of their Faculty Mentor/Advisor along with their email address. The Faculty Mentor/Advisor will be asked to submit a letter of support for your application
- Responses to the following two questions:
- Briefly describe your personal goals and objectives for being involved in research
- How does your research contribute significantly to your field of study or beyond?
- A résumé
- Prior recipients are eligible for the 2023 award process, but cannot submit an application for consideration using the same project from a previous year. Only applications from prior recipients that are for a different project will be considered for the award.
- CURCE Home
- About CURCE
- For Students
- For Faculty
Student Awards and Funding
- Undergraduate Research Scholarships
- Internal Funding Opportunities
- External Funding Opportunities
- Abele Research Fund
- Greenwald Research Fund
- Moyer Research Fund
- Presidential Award for Undergraduate Research
- Situation Prize for Research
- Sorrell Chesin Research Award
- University Libraries' Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Research (new!)
- Student Conference