Situation Prize for Research
Damian Bazadona '98 graduated from the University at Albany with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. He is the Founder and President of Situation – a digital agency that helps brands build passionate communities through digital-first marketing strategies. Over the years, Damian has worked with some of the world’s leading brands including Meals on Wheels America, The Metropolitan Opera, HBO, Major League Soccer, National Geographic, and The Ad Council. His agency has also been honored with numerous workplace awards from Crain’s, Best Companies Group, Cynopsis, Digiday, and Fortune. Damian himself was honored by Cynopsis with the Social Good Leader of the Year and HR Visionary of the Year awards.
Damian strongly believes in giving back to his own community, and he has provided CURCE and undergraduates with access to the first-ever award for student participation in research, scholarship, and creative activities. Past recipients have used their awards to advance their project(s), attend conferences, and make an impact in their communities. The Situation Prize for Research was announced in April 2017 and provided the inaugural awards in April 2018 to nine undergraduates.
Past Recipients of the Situation Prize for Research
Students interested in applying for the Spring 2020 award are welcome to begin submitting their applications and materials on Friday, January 17, 2020. The application will close at 11:59 PM, on Friday, February 28, 2020.
To complete the online application, click here.
Situation Prize for Research Award Criteria
Student who apply are eligible for ONE of NINE awards for $500!
In order to be eligible students must:
- Must be a matriculated (currently enrolled) undergraduate student at the University at Albany in the Spring 2020 semester.
- Students must be enrolled at least part-time (6 credits or more).
- Only undergraduate students are eligible.
- Students from any class year will be considered.
- Students from any major will be considered.
- Students must be actively engaged in a research, scholarship, or creative activity at the time of application.
- Students must complete the full application no later than FRIDAY, February 28, 2020 at 11:59 PM to be considered for the prize.
With their application students must submit the following:
- An abstract of their research, scholarship, or creative activity.
- The name of their faculty advisor and/or principal investigator, along with their email address.
- A 300-500-word essay in response to the following prompt: In 2001, Damian Bazadona '98 founded his digital agency, Situation, to help brands build passionate communities through digital-first marketing strategies. Damian founded Situation with four core values that have remained cornerstones of the business as the agency continues to grow: passion, innovation, collaboration, and commitment. We'd like to hear how these values have impacted the research, scholarship, or creative activity you are working on or completing.
- A video of a one-sentence tagline that you feel encompasses your goal. (No production required, cell phone footage is entirely acceptable).
- A draft of either a poster, presentation, or paper of your research, scholarship, or creative activity.
- A resume.
- During the review process, you may be asked to provide additional information. All correspondence and notifications will be generated from the personal information submitted below. Please use proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.