The School of Public Health's Internships and Career Services Office helps guide and prepare you for successful careers in public health. You can gain practical and applicable hands-on experience through internships with local community partners, local government agencies, not-for-profits, and the New York State Department of Health, to name a few - and even international internships through our Center for Global Health. Our MPH students complete 720 hours of hands-on learning (more hours than any other MPH program in the nation), and our MS, PhD, and DrPH students receive rigorous experiential learning opportunities to help advance their careers.
Make important connections through a public health internship. You can gain critical experience in real-world public health situations that enable you to combine the theory and information you learn in the classroom with practical application. Our internship partners love working with our students! 30% of our students received job offers from their internship according to our latest survey of graduating students.
Student internship highlights
- Albany Medical Center
- College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering
- Gen*NY*Sis Center for Excellence in Cancer Genomics
- New York State Department of Health: Division of Genetics, Newborn Screening
- University of Rochester Medical Center
- Wadsworth Center
- New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets: Food Laboratory Division
- New York State Department of Health: Bureau of Water Supply Protection
- New York State Office for the Aging
- New York State Office of the Attorney General: Environmental Protection Bureau
- Wadsworth Center: Laboratory of Environmental Biology
- Healthcare Association of New York State
- New York State Department of Health: Bureau of STD Prevention and Epidemiology
- New York State Department of Health: Bureau of Tuberculosis Contro
- Rensselaer County Health Department
- University at Albany Counseling Center
- MVP Health Care
- New York State Association of County Health Officials
- New York State Department of Health: Nutrition Policy and Health Promotion
- New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities
- Schuyler Center for Analysis and Advocacy
- American Cancer Society
- Capital District Physician’s Health Plan
- New York State WIC Program
- Pride Center of the Capital Region
- Schenectady County Legislature
- US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants
- Whitney M. Young Jr. Health Center
Additional Career-Related Services
The Internships and Career Services Office at the School of Public Health provides:
- Weekly emails related to internships and career development, including deadlines for internships and details about job opportunities.
- Drop-in hours for quick questions related to internships, careers, or professional development.
- Confidential career appointments to discuss various career-related items, ranging from securing an internship to receiving a cover letter or resume critique.
- Events and programs to prepare students for personal and professional success.
"I was able to use my practicum experiences as an opportunity to 'try out' different potential career areas. I was able to work as a research assistant at the Department of Health and at a non-profit organization. My last practicum with ACOG District II has evolved into a long-term role."
- Meg V., DrPH student