Virtual Events Celebrate National Public Health Week
ALBANY, N.Y. (April 6, 2021) – The School of Public Health (SPH) has a series of events planned this week as part of its annual celebration of National Public Health Week (NPHW).
NPHW is an annual initiative spearheaded by the American Public Health Association (APHA), a national nonprofit that focuses on public health issues and policy, to improve health, safety and well-being for all Americans.
SPH’s iteration of the national week began yesterday and runs through Friday. Events include:
- Virtual Wall During the Pandemic: Why We Do What We Do. Students, faculty and staff are invited to share what public health has meant to them this past year by posting to the SPH virtual wall.
- National Public Health Week and AJPH: A Dialogue, 4-5 p.m. Join American Journal of Public Health authors and the editor-in-chief for a panel discussion and audience Q&A as they discuss what the future of public health will look like, and the steps we can take to get there. Additional details can be found on the NPHW website. RSVP here.
- Brown Bag Seminar — Doll Tests and Twerking Videos: Adverse Object Lessons in Violence Against Black Girls, 12-1 p.m. The SPH Maternal Child Health Program and the undergraduate public health program are co-hosts of this NPHW Zoom seminar featuring Assistant Professor Kyra Gaunt from UAlbany’s Department of Music & Theatre. Please register in advance.
- PhotoVoice 2021: Social and Racial Justice During the COVID-19 Pandemic, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Local organizations and individuals will share their photos and stories that reflect social and racial justice in the Capital Region. This project focuses on opening a dialogue between community members and stakeholders. This virtual event is open to the public, and there will be time for questions following the presentation. Learn more about PhotoVoice on the website. Zoom Link.
- Get Hired after Graduation: Young Professionals Panel, 5-6 p.m. For students about to graduate into an uncertain future, now’s a great time to hear from young professionals who navigated the pandemic to secure their public health roles. Sponsored by APHA. Additional details and registration can be found on NPHW’s website.
- SPH Accepted Students Day, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. SPH will host several virtual sessions throughout the day for newly accepted students. Students will learn about the school and its focus on experiential education, meet with faculty in department sessions, hear from current students and alumni, and learn about the Global Health and MCH programs.
- Afrobeat Zumba (Zoom) Session, 3-4 p.m. Join the School of Public Health Undergraduate Program for an Afrobeat Zumba mini workout. Come to let go and get moving to “Afrifitness,” a 20-minute, no equipment African dance workout.