File a Report

Make a Report of Discrimination or Sexual Misconduct

Anyone may report workplace discrimination or sexual misconduct (Title IX), and support services are available regardless of whether you pursue further options under University policies. If you wish to make a report anonymously, please write "anonymous" in required fields that ask for identifying information.

The University adheres to all local, state and federal laws and conducts prompt, fair and unbiased administrative investigations into formal complaints filed against UAlbany students or employees to determine if there was a violation of UAlbany policy .


File a Report

Note: This form is not intended for use in emergency situations. In an emergency, immediately call the University Police Department by dialing 911 on a campus phone or 518-442-3131 on a cell phone. 


Additional Reporting Options

State & Federal External Reporting Options

You can also report sexual misconduct and/or workplace discrimination to an external state or federal agency. 

Students and employees can reach out to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights at 646-428-3800 or [email protected].

Employees can also reach out to:

Criminal Reporting Options for Sexual Violence

You have the right to file a complaint with both law enforcement and the University, simultaneously. (Note: In an emergency, call 911.)

Note: Law enforcement agencies are a non-confidential reporting option, so they may send reports of sexual misconduct to the Office of Equity & Compliance.

Anyone — including students, faculty and staff — may report instances of sexual violence to the University Police Department (UPD).  

UPD conducts criminal investigations into such complaints to determine whether there has been a violation of New York State law.

Other criminal reporting options include:

If someone requests an administrative investigation by the University, as well as a criminal investigation by police, the Office of Equity & Compliance will offer to coordinate the interview with police, so they do not have to retell their experience.

Reporting Options for Bias Incidents & Hate Crimes

Understand the difference between a bias act and a hate crime.

Report suspected bias incidents to the University’s Bias Incident Response Team, which coordinates the University’s response to reported bias incidents and, if necessary, issues recommendations to the appropriate University officials.

When the Bias Incident Response Team reasonably believes that the report details a violation of federal, state or local laws, or University policies, it will forward the report to the appropriate agencies or campus units, including the University Police Department, Office of Community Standards, Office of Equity and Compliance and/or Human Resources. 

Report alleged hate crimes to the University Police Department or another law enforcement agency.

Sexual Assault Nurse Exams & Other Medical Care

The 24/7 emergency departments at Albany Medical CenterSt. Peter's Hospital and Albany Memorial offer sexual assault nurse exams.

During this type of exam, a specially trained medical provider diagnoses and provides treatment for any injuries, explains and offers medications to prevent pregnancy (if applicable) and sexually transmitted diseases, and collects forensic evidence. Participation in all or some of this process is completely voluntary. (Note: St. Peter’s Hospital and Albany Memorial do not provide emergency contraception.)

Information provided during a medical exam is confidential and will not be released or shared without your consent. Completing a sexual assault nurse exam does not require you to report the violence to police or the University.

You should also be aware of the following:

  • Sexual assault nurse exams provide potentially life-saving medical care and greatly enhance the likelihood of a successful prosecution of the assailant in a criminal case if you choose to report the incident now or in the future.

  • It's important not to bathe, wash, change clothes or brush your teeth prior to seeking medical attention. If possible, it's also best that you not eat, drink or use the bathroom prior to the exam.

  • For the purposes of evidence collection, the exam should be conducted within 96 hours of the assault. However, even if 96 hours have elapsed, the exam is still recommended.

  • The exam is free and does not have to be charged to your insurance.

  • The New York State Office of Victim Services may be able to assist in compensating victims/survivors for health care and counseling services, including emergency funds. Review the agency's Help for Crime Victims webpage or call their office at 1-800-247-8035 to learn more about your options.

You can request that an advocate accompany you to the hospital. Contact Albany County's Crime Victims and Sexual Violence Center's 24-hour Sexual Assault Hotline at 518-447-7716 for support.

Current UAlbany students can also seek non-emergency care from Student Health Services (SHS), which offers general medical care, gynecological services, lab tests, pharmacy services and STI testing. Make an SHS appointment. Note: SHS does not provide forensic exams.

SHS is a confidential resource, which means they will not share your information without your explicit permission (except for in extreme circumstances, such as a serious health and/or safety emergency).

On-campus Confidential Resources

The University wants campus community members to access the information and support they need, regardless of whether they choose to move forward with a formal complaint.

You may want to communicate with someone about something you have observed or experienced, even if you're not sure the behavior constitutes sexual violence.

Confidentiality varies, so it's important for everyone to understand who they can speak with in confidence and which members of our community are required to report disclosures of sexual misconduct.

A confidential resource will not share your information without your explicit permission (except for in extreme circumstances, such as a health and/or safety emergency). 

Confidential Resources for Students:

Additionally, the Albany County's Crime Victims and Sexual Violence Center's confidential advocates offer on-campus office hours.