Student Conduct System

About the Student Conduct System

For detailed information about UAlbany's student conduct system, please review our student code of conduct, Community Rights & Responsibilities.

What is a Student Conduct Referral?

When a campus community member believes a student has violated the code of conduct, they notify the Office of Community Standards. Our team will review the circumstances of the alleged behavior and determine whether it was a violation.  

If the alleged behavior is prohibited, our office creates a Student Conduct Referral — a document outlining the alleged misconduct and the specific code violations.  

The student is notified they have been referred to Community Standards and asked to meet with our staff. During that meeting, you will: 

  • Review the Student Conduct Referral, sign it and receive a copy 

  • Learn about the student conduct process 

  • Provide your perspective on the incident, as well as any relevant evidence and/or witness names 

Detailed information on the referral process is available in the Community Rights & Responsibilities.

Note: The University promotes a sense of community both on and off campus, so students are expected to exercise good judgement, regardless of their location. This means serious incidents that happen off campus may still be adjudicated through the Student Conduct System. 

How are referrals resolved?

Students may have one advisor of their choice join them during the student conduct process.

The advisor may be a family member, fellow student, faculty or staff member, or an attorney. However, the advisor serves a supportive role and may not represent or speak for the student.

The Student Association’s Student Legal Services can advise undergraduate students in some cases. 

There are three ways to resolve a Student Conduct Referral: 

  • Administrative Resolution, in which the student accepts responsibility or a review shows the preponderance of evidence standard has already been met 

  • Student Conduct Hearing before a Student Conduct Body, a formal proceeding during which evidence and witnesses are presented and the referred student represents themselves 

  • Alternative Dispute Resolution, which would involve either a behavioral meeting and conduct notice, mediation, or a restorative justice process 

Detailed information on the resolution process is available in the Community Rights & Responsibilities.

Note: Criminal proceedings are entirely separate from the Student Conduct System. Cases are resolved with the University independent of the results of any criminal charges. 

What are the consequences for violating the code of conduct?

Students who admit to violating the code of conduct and students who are found in violation receive appropriate sanctions, based on the severity of their behavior. 

Sanctions are meant to be educational. They range from warnings or probation to suspension or dismissal, and often include community service, educational programs and/or reflection essays.  

Only suspensions and dismissals are noted on students’ transcripts. Students who have been on Disciplinary Probation for at least three months without further incident may apply through the CoRe Program to end their probation early. 

Learn more about sanctions.

Report a Violation

If you believe a student has violated UAlbany’s student code of conduct, the Community Rights & Responsibilities, you may formally refer the student to Community Standards for investigation and, if necessary, adjudication. 

To refer a student, you must send a detailed, written description of the incident — including the specific behavior(s) leading to the referral — to [email protected].  

Once we receive your report, our staff will then work with you to identify whether the code of conduct was allegedly violated. This conversation can take place over the phone, via email or in person. 

You may also contact the Office of Community Standards if you’re unsure if a student has violated the code of conduct or you would like to explore the various ways to resolve a situation.

If you are dealing with an emergency, immediately call the University Police Department by dialing 911 on a campus phone or 518-442-3131 on a cell phone. 

Note: Violations of academic integrity are reported differently than violations of the student code of conduct. Report an academic integrity violation.