Resources for Victims/Survivors

Individuals who have experienced sexual violence often respond in many different ways, including feeling confused, overwhelmed, vulnerable, out of control, embarrassed, angry, distrustful or depressed.

There are a variety of resources available that can assist individuals who have experienced sexual violence with their healing and recovery, and to help with determining whether and how to make a complaint.

Visit our File a Complaint page to understand your options for reporting sexual misconduct.


Contacting an Advocate

Albany County's Crime Victims and Sexual Violence Center offers advocacy 24 hours a day. Advocates there are available listen, answer questions and/or help a victim/survivor decide how to proceed. The advocates are also available to accompany victim/survivors to the hospital.

Call 518-447-7716 to reach their 24-hour Sexual Assault Hotline.


Crime Victims Legal Help 

To learn about criminal court basics or find a crime victim advocate near you:

Additional Information for Employees

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides UAlbany faculty, staff, Research Foundation employees, GSEU members, retirees, spouses and immediate family members with free, confidential assistance from a qualified professional who can listen, be supportive and recommend someone who can help.

The EAP Coordinator is available to assist employees who have experienced sexual misconduct and can be reached at 518-442-5483 or [email protected].

Addressing Safety Concerns

Accommodations — including residential, academic, workplace and disability accommodations — are available for all University community members to ensure they are safe and secure. 

While victims/survivors may request accommodations through any of the offices mentioned below, the following offices serve as a point of contact to assist with these measures:

Residential Accommodations

A student who lives on campus may request residential accommodations — such as a relocation to another on-campus housing assignment — if they feel unsafe in their current location.

Any student involved in a discrimination or sexual misconduct investigation may contact the Office of Equity & Compliance to request a residential accommodation.

Students who are not involved in a discrimination or sexual misconduct investigation but would like to request a residential accommodation should contact the Department of Residential Life.

Academic Accommodations

A student may request an academic accommodation — such as an extended due date, alternative assignment, or excused absence — if they have experienced discrimination or sexual misconduct, or if they have been accused of such behavior.

Any student involved in a discrimination or sexual misconduct investigation may contact the Office of Equity & Compliance to request an academic accommodation.

Students who are not involved in a discrimination or sexual misconduct investigation but would like to request an academic accommodation should contact the Academic Support Center or Disability Resource Center.

Campus Escorts

If you feel unsafe walking alone on campus, please contact the University Police Department to request an on-campus safety escort.

Cease-and-Desist Orders

Please contact the Office of Equity & Compliance or the Office of Community Standards to request a Cease-and-Desist Order.

A Cease-and-Desist Order is a non-disciplinary directive that prohibits two or more students from contacting each other in-person, electronically (social media, text, phone, etc.) or via a third person. Failure to follow the directive may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards.

Please note that Cease-and-Desist Orders may be appealed.

Interim Actions

The Office of Equity & Compliance assesses each complaint to determine whether an accused individual poses a safety threat to the campus community.

If a safety concern is identified, the University may take interim action to ensure campus safety while the investigation is pending.

Interim actions include, but are not limited to, temporary suspensions, campus restrictions and alternative work assignments

The Office of Equity and Compliance conducts these safety assessments in coordination with the Office of Community Standards, Human Resources, the University Police Department and/or the Office of General Counsel.

Persona Non Grata Letters

If the accused individual is not a member of the University community, a UAlbany student or employee may contact the University Police Department to request a Persona Non Grata letter that will prohibit the individual from campus.

Approval is subject to legal requirements and University policy.

Orders of Protection

The University cannot issue Orders of Protection. However, the University Police Department can provide guidance on how to obtain, enforce and/or abide by an Order of Protection.

UAlbany students and employees may also request assistance from the University Police Department if an individual violates an order of protection.

University Police can arrest, or assist local law enforcement in arresting, an individual who violates an order of protection.

Advisor of Choice

All parties to an investigation have the right to select an advisor of their choice, who may be, but does not have to be, an attorney.

The advisor of choice may accompany the party they are advising to any meeting or hearing but may not speak for the party except for the limited purpose of cross-examination in cases involving misconducted covered by Title IX.

The University will provide parties equal access to advisors and support persons; any restrictions on advisor participation, such as conflicts of interest, will be applied fairly and equally.

The University will not intentionally schedule meetings or hearings on dates where the advisors for all parties are not available, provided that the advisors act reasonably in identifying available dates and work collegially to find dates and times that meet all schedules. 

The Advisor Resource Guide outlines the required procedures for investigating and remediating conduct under the University's Title IX Grievance Policy.