The Center for Human Services Research (CHSR) is dedicated to developing empirically-based knowledge to improve the design and delivery of services that address social issues and meet community needs. We conduct evaluation research and design information systems to inform policymakers and service providers across a broad spectrum of fields. CHSR values integrity in its research and is dedicated to providing timely, accurate, and non-partisan information to guide best practice in the human services.
The Center for Human Services Research (CHSR) was established in 1991 by the Director of the Bureau of Research of the New York State Department of Social Services (DSS). DSS was seeking a partner to handle the increased demand for departmental research. CHSR was initially housed at the Professional Development Program (PDP), later became affiliated with the School of Social Welfare, and is currently a university-wide research center under the Office of the Vice President for Research due to our expanded research portfolio and data management capacity.
CHSR has grown substantially and this growth is evidenced in the following ways:
- Expanded Research Portfolio: Initially CHSR conducted research in the areas of interest to the Department of Social Services: child welfare and temporary assistance. Project areas now include children and family services, children's mental health, economic and community development, education and early childhood development, health behavior and services, and youth development and juvenile justice.
- Substantial Infrastructure: CHSR now supports an interdisciplinary team of over 35 staff, faculty, and graduate students with sophisticated research, technical, and management skills.
- Broadened Internal and External Partnerships: CHSR has developed significant partnerships with a number of University entities and with various state and local government offices and service providers throughout New York State.
- Addictions Care Center of Albany, Inc.
- Adirondack Rural Health Network
- Albany County Department for Children, Youth and Families
- Albany Police Department
- Albany Family Education Alliance
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Capital Region
- City School District of Albany
- Community Foundation of Elmira-Corning and the Finger Lakes
- Glens Falls Hospital
- Homeward Bound Adirondacks
- HF ONLINE
- New York City Anti-Violence Project
- Northeast Parent and Child Society
- The Office of Environmental Sustainability
- Orange County Department of Mental Health
- Orange County System of Care
- Parsons Child and Family Center
- University at Albany, State University of New York - School of Criminal Justice
- University at Albany, State University of New York - School of Social Welfare
- Westchester County Office for Women
- WMHT Educational Telecommunications
- Families Together of New York State
- Health Research Inc.
- Hunger Solutions New York
- New York Conference of Local Mental Hygiene Directors
- New York State AmeriCorps
- New York State Department of Health
- New York State Kinship Navigator
- New York State Office of Children and Family Services
- New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities
- New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence
- New York State Public Health Association
- Nutrition Consortium of New York State
- Prevent Child Abuse New Jersey
- Prevent Child Abuse New York
- Veteran’s Administration Health Care Upstate New York