Student Complaints

Section 494C(j) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, provides that a student, faculty member or any other person who believes he or she has been aggrieved by an institution of higher education has the right to file a written complaint.

The University at Albany has established academic grievance procedures for students seeking to contest an evaluation. The full procedures are detailed in this Graduate Bulletin at  The final level of possible University at Albany review of graduate level grievances is the Graduate Academic Council. As stated, a determination by the Graduate Academic Council is final and not subject to further formal review within the University at Albany.

Only students who have exhausted review rights at the University at Albany may pursue a concern or complaint with the SUNY System. The SUNY mailing address for such a purpose is State University of New York, System Administration, State University Plaza, Albany, NY 12246. More information regarding pursuing such concerns at the SUNY System level is available at

A final level of complaint review by the New York State Education Department will only be considered if it is demonstrated that reviews at the campus and SUNY system levels have been exhausted. For more information of filing such a complaint with NYSED, see