Human Resources

Graduate & Teaching Assistants
Resident Assistants
and Fellowships 

This page will guide you through the Human Resources forms required for the appointment of Graduate and Teaching Assistants, Resident Assistants, and Fellowships. Additional assistantship information for students can be found in the in the Graduate Bulletin.  The Guidelines for departments wishing to offer an assistantship are established by Graduate Studies.

Required appointment documents:

New GA/TA and RA forms

Returning GA/TA and RA forms

Fellowship forms

New GA/TA and RA Forms

(or after break of more than one semester)

Required Forms

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents

International Employees

GA or TA = HRM-4


Form I-9

Employees must present original document(s) listed on page 5 on or before their first day of work.

This form should be held at the department until original documents are presented (remaining appointment forms should be forwarded to HR).

Form I-9

Employees may complete section 1 of this form and bring it along with their original document(s) listed on page 5 to HR on or before their first day of work.

Federal Withholding Form W-4

Federal NRA Form W-4

State Withholding Form IT-2104

State NRA Form IT-2104


Foreign National Information Worksheet for new International GAs/TAs only

Oath Card (State Employee Statement in Lieu of Oath Pursuant to Civil Service Law §62 and Public Officers Law Certificate--Form DS-1690) (PDF)

Employee Identification Questionnaire

Employees' Retirement System (ERS) Info Sheet and Acknowledgement - REQUIRED

Optional Forms

  • Benefits (Health insurance is mandatory for eligible F-1/J-1 visa holders)

Returning GA, TA, or RA

Fellowships (non-employee/non-GSEU)


      In All cases, send completed/signed forms and attachments to:

      Office of Human Resources