Immunization Requirements for International Students
MMR (Measles Mumps and Rubella)
All UALBANY students (both domestic and international) must provide proof of having received two measles, one mumps and one rubella vaccine OR submit proof of blood tests indicating immunity to these diseases.
- Vaccine records (including actual dates) must be provided (preferably with English translations).
- Blood tests for immunity performed outside of the US are acceptable. A legible copy of the lab report in English must be provided.
TB (Tuberculosis) Requirements
All UAlbany students are assessed for the risk of TB (Tuberculosis).
The most common risk for TB is exposure in a TB endemic country, a country known to have a high rate of TB. This includes most Eastern Mediterranean, African, Asian, Central and South American countries.
NOTE: Any country NOT on the list below is considered a TB endemic area:
AMERICAN REGION: USA, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia
EUROPEAN: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
WESTERN PACIFIC: Australia, Fiji, Nauru, New Zealand, Samoa
MIDDLE EAST: Egypt, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Oman, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, West Bank and Gaza Strip
All students who were born in any TB endemic country OR all students who have spent over 4 weeks in any of the TB endemic countries must receive TB testing upon arrival on campus.
The only exceptions are:
- Students who have received a full course of treatment for Tuberculosis with TB medications
- These students will need to provide medical documentation confirming the duration of treatment and medications taken.
- Students with a blood test that reveals a positive response.
- Quanteferon Gold or T-Spot are the only acceptable blood tests for TB
NOTE: Negative TB blood tests (Quanteferon Gold or T-Spot) performed outside of the US are not acceptable
As part of the International Student Orientation program, students at risk for TB will receive blood testing for TB:
- Blood will be taken from an arm vein
- The cost of $72 will be billed to the student’s UAlbany account
- Indicates likely exposure/infection with Tuberculosis
- Students will be required to obtain a chest x-ray and meet with a physician at the Health Center to discuss treatment
- Indicates no TB infection
- No further action required
- Further evaluation necessary
- Students will need to meet with a Physician at the Health Center
Students who miss the TB testing during orientation must make an appointment with the Health Center to be tested for TB. Anyone not complying with this requirement will have a “hold” placed on their registration for the next semester.