University at Albany

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question below to find answers to the most common questions:

What do the services of Student Health Services cost?

The Comprehensive Service Fee is automatically included on the University invoice each semester and covers most of the services offered at Student Health Services. Students must pay additional fees for:

  • certain in-house laboratory testing
  • medical equipment
  • immunizations
  • oral and other contraceptives
  • nasal steroids and anti-histamines
  • over the counter medications
  • medications dispensed above the maximum allotment each fall and spring semester
  • all medications dispensed during the summer semester.


What is Student Health Services' billing policy?

Student Health Services charges are billed through E-Bill. E-Bills are generated by Student Accounts on or about the 20th of each month. Payment is due on the 15th of the following month.

Pay by the due date to avoid late fees and holds. You must pay your entire bill or personally pay the Student Health Services amount at the Bursar counter in the Student Financial Center (518-442-3220) with clear instructions to apply it directly to the Student Health Services portion of your bill or select the Student Health Services specific charges through E-pay in order to avoid a Student Health Services Medical-Fiscal hold on your account.

Students with unpaid Student Health Services obligations will have a "hold" placed on their records and will be unable to use the Student Health Services pharmacy, receive transcripts, register for future terms, or receive diplomas until the full Student Health Service balance is paid.

Delinquent accounts may be transferred to private collection agencies and/or the New York State Attorney General's Office for collection. Delinquent accounts are subject to interest and collection fee charges.

Why do I have a Student Health Services hold?

Students with unpaid financial obligations will have a Medical/Fiscal "hold" placed on their records, and will be unable to receive pharmacy benefits, receive transcripts, register for future terms, or receive diplomas. You may have received a charge for certain in-house laboratory testing, medical equipment, immunizations, oral and other contraceptives, nasal steroids and anti-histamines, over the counter medication and for medications dispensed above the maximum allotment each semester.

To have this hold removed, you must pay your entire bill or personally pay the Student Health Services amount at the Bursar counter in the Student Financial Center (518-442-3220) with clear instructions to apply it directly to the Student Health Services portion of your bill or select to pay the Student Health Services specific charges through E-pay, failure to do so may delay lifting of the hold. Without directing payment to the Student Health Services charges, if you have an outstanding balance anywhere on campus that is older than the Student Health Services bill, your payment will go toward the oldest outstanding balance first. Therefore, you may still end up with a Student Health Services hold for non payment until all your balances are brought to current. If there are further questions please contact Student Health Services at (518) 956-8400.

Administrative - Immunization
Students who have not handed in complete immunization records will have a Administrative Records Student Health Services Hold placed on their account. This hold will prevent students from registering from classes so it should be dealt with promptly. Students should provide appropriate proof of immunizations along with the Required Health Form to Student Health Services. You can find the requirements at our Immunization Requirements page. If you believe you have provided appropriate documentation, please contact the Health Center at (518) 442-5454.

Administrative - HLTH
Students who have a Medical Withdrawal will have a Administrative Records HLTH hold. Students should call Student Health Services during business hours at (518) 956-8400 when they are ready to return to campus.

What happens if I need to see a specialist?

When necessary, patients will be referred to consultants in specialty areas for services not offered at Student Health Services. Students (or their private health insurance carriers) are directly responsible for paying the costs of such services.

What should I do in an emergency?

If the problem is life threatening: CALL 9-1-1 from an on campus phone or (518) 442-3131 from an off campus phone or cell phone . The student should get to one of the local emergency rooms immediately no matter what time of day or night, even if the Student Health Services is open.

What should I do if I'm sick or injured and Student Health Services is closed?

If it is an emergency you should call for 911 from a campus phone or 518-442-3131 from a non-campus phone to reach the UAlbany Police who will dispatch police, fire and emergency medical assistance as appropriate.

In general a medical emergency includes the following conditions:

  • Difficulty breathing.
  • Chest or upper abdominal pain or pressure.
  • Fainting, sudden dizziness, weakness.
  • Changes in vision.
  • Confusion or changes in mental state.
  • Any sudden or severe pain.
  • Uncontrolled bleeding.
  • Severe or persistent vomiting or diarrhea.
  • Coughing or vomiting blood.
  • Suicidal feelings.
  • Difficulty speaking.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Unusual abdominal pain

If you are not clear whether your condition warrants a visit to an Emergency Room , Urgent Care facility or can wait for Student Health Services to open, consider obtaining after hours advice by contacting either;

  • A parent
  • Your personal physician at home (assuming they are available after hours)
  • FoneMed - an after hours nurse hotline for urgent (non emergency) medical advice available to all registered UAlbany student by calling 518-442-5454 when Student Health Services is closed. Please note that this is an outside service and cannot provide information on any Student Health Services matters.
    • Many insurance carriers offer a similar service—consider checking your insurance card for more information.

PLEASE NOTE: any costs incurred at local Urgent Cares and Emergency Rooms are the responsibility of the student.  Consider clarifying coverage including co-pays with your insurance carrier to minimize unexpected healthcare bills.

If the student cannot wait until Student Health Services is open, he/she should go to an area urgent care facility or hospital emergency room for care. See the Community Resources page for more information.

Are Student Health Services records confidential?

The Student Health Services medical records are absolutely confidential. Medical records or information will not be released to anyone without the student's written consent. Exceptions may include in the event of an emergency, when there is danger of a student harming him/herself, when a physician needs to speak with another member of the clinical team to coordinate treatment, or when a third party payer requests information necessary for reimbursement.

How can I get a copy of my immunization/medical records?

You can find the Medical Records Release Policy on the Medical Records Release page. Please note records are only kept for 7 years.

What if I have a suggestion, concern, or compliment about about Student Health Services?

If you have a complaint, a compliment, or a suggestion about any aspect of the services at Student Health Services and you would like to write to us by mail:

Medical Director
University at Albany
Student Health Services
400 Patroon Creek Blvd., Suite 200
Albany, NY 12206