The University at Albany welcomes students from around the world, annually enrolling approximately 1,000 students representing nearly 80 nations. All international applicants apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Degree Application Instructions
International applicants should follow the basic requirements for all degree applicants found at Information for Degree Applicants. Please note, your application cannot be processed, and you will not receive your application number, until you first submit your non-refundable fee.
Additional Application Requirements of International Students
To be considered for admission to UAlbany graduate programs, you must have completed a degree program equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree prior to enrolling.
- Academic transcripts must be provided in the original language and accompanied by certified translations into English. An official certification of the award of all degrees is also required. Alternatively, we also accept WES Evaluations directly from WES (www.wes.org). Other evaluation services can only be used if they require official documents directly from the institution (not the student) in order to evaluate coursework. We cannot accept evaluations from organizations that do not require official documents directly from the institution.
- Students from India/Bangladesh/Pakistan: We require official statements of marks or grade cards for each examination attempt, including subsidiary exams, issued by the University Registrar or Controller of Examinations (or photocopies attested by the University Registrar or Controller of Examinations). We also required the consolidated transcript. We will accept a Provisional Certificate of Degree as final.
- Students from China: We require Degree Certificate(s) for proof of earned degree.
- Students from Russia, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Moldova: Apostilled photocopies of your official academic records are acceptable in lieu of those sent officially to us from the educational institution.
- To document an international student’s ability to meet all expenses while attending UAlbany, a completed Student Financial Affidavit must be submitted. Supporting documentation evidencing financial support (bank statements, deposit verification, etc.) must also be provided. You can submit your financial affidavit after your file has been reviewed, however if you are selected for admission, your immigration documents will not be sent until official documents showing sufficient financial support have been provided.
- If applying for UAlbany assistantships or fellowships, complete and submit a Graduate Assistantship/Fellowship Application.
- Since proven English proficiency is required to ensure success in UAlbany’s graduate programs, the TOEFL or the IELTS exam is required for students whose native language is not English.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are not required for students who submit official transcripts showing the successful completion (B or better average) of at least two full-time semesters of academic courses (not including English language preparatory programs) at a college or university in countries where English is the dominant language. Waiver of the score submission requirement is subject to review by the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Students applying for non-certification TESOL master's program can have the TOEFL/IELTS waived if the applicant submits official transcripts showing the successful completion of 3 years of study in a degree program at a college or university in the U.S. and maintained a B or better average.
- Departmental program review staff may also reserve the right to require submission of scores as a factor in consideration of applicant eligibility for admission or funding.
Please submit your official documents to:
Office of Graduate Education
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
Additional Information Topics
For the answers to many common questions, please see International Student: Frequently Asked Questions.