Admission and Applications
General Studies’ students are those individuals who wish to take undergraduate courses. They are admitted as a nondegree student.
Who is eligible to be a General Studies student?
Who is not eligible to be a General Studies student?
- High school graduates.
- Students who hold their GED (General Equivalency Diploma).
- Students who previously attended college.These students must be in good academic standing within the 12 months prior to applying for admission as a General Studies student. Transcripts of previous college work need to be provided.
- College graduates.
- High school seniors who excel in their coursework. These students must follow a specific admission procedure listed below.
- Students wishing to take graduate coursework. These students should contact Graduate Admissions.
- First-time college students who were denied admission by the Undergraduate Admissions Office at UAlbany.
- Students who were previously matriculated at UAlbany and have not received a degree. These students must contact the Office of The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, Department of Withdrawal and Readmission. They can be reached at 518-442-5821.
General Studies Students
General Studies students will be required to complete a simple, one-page application for admission each semester the student wishes to register. First-time applicants who previously attended college must also provide a transcript of prior college work.
- Apply online. Your application will be received in our office the next business day.
- Download the application and either bring it to our office, or fax or mail it in.
- Come in person to SS-110 during the period between the first day of
advanced registration and the first day of classes and complete the
- You may request an application and return it to our office by mail or fax.
High School Students
If you are currently attending high school as a senior, you may be eligible for admission to the Office of General Studies and Summer Sessions, SS-110. You may register via mail, fax, or in-person using the High School Application. Please make sure to follow the instructions listed below before applying for admission. High school students may only register for 100- or 200-level courses. Enrollment is on a space-available basis, with priority given to students currently enrolled in colleges and universities.
To apply for admission, high school students must:
- Submit an application to the Office of General Studies and Summer Sessions.
- Attach to your application a current high school transcript.
- Attach a letter of reference from your guidance counselor. This letter, written on school letterhead, should attest to your emotional and intellectual readiness for college coursework and indicate that you can reasonably be expected to compete academically with university students.
- Meet any and all stated prerequisites for the course(s) in question.
A few University courses are made available to students at a reduced cost through the University in the High School Program. Check with your high school guidance counselor or academic department at your school for details.
International students, students who are residents of countries other than the United States, that wish to take nondegree, undergraduate classes at UAlbany must first obtain clearance through the Office of International Students & Scholars Services. You can reach them at 518-591-8172 or email@example.com. Those students who hold a green card do not need to obtain clearance through ISSS, but are required to submit their green card to our office in order to be admitted. Applications for international students can not be processed until the appropriate documents are received by our office.
Nondegree Registration Application
High School Application
Please send questions or comments about this site to: firstname.lastname@example.org