Human resources

Benefit Information
for Graduate and Teaching Assistants


This is a general guide to benefits. Programs, policies, and costs are subject to change without notice, and such changes are generally applicable to all future employees regardless of the date the original offer or acceptance of employment was made.

  1. Health Insurance
  2. NYS Employees' Retirement System
  3. Flex Spending Account
  4. Voluntary Tax Deferred Savings Program
  5. Sick Leave


Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP) Top

Graduate and Teaching Assistants who work at least one-half an assistantship AND are employed at a stipend that would yield a total compensation of 50 percent of the July 2, 2009 minimum stipend for employees on full assistantships at University Center campuses which is $8,586, are eligible for the Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP) as employees represented by the Graduate Student Employees Union (GSEU). See collective bargaining agreement article "6.21" for additional eligibility requirements. 

The Student Employee Health Plan differs from the Accident and Sickness Insurance available to all students. An enrollment packet will be sent to eligible employees in care of the department once we are notified of an appointment.

Plan Provisions and additional information can be found in the SEHP At a Glance Booklet. Additional information can be found on the Civil Service Website or by viewing the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC).

  • F-1 and J-1 visa holders:

Students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are required to enroll in the SEHP. Coverage becomes effective on the date of appointment. Enrollment in the program may be waived with proof of comparable coverage under another plan.

  • U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents:

Enrollment in the SEHP is voluntary but must be requested within 45 days after the date of appointment to avoid waiting periods. Health insurance coverage is effective on the date we receive the enrollment form, but not earlier than the date of appointment. Enrollment after the initial enrollment period is subject to a 30-day wait from the date of request, unless previous coverage is terminated and proof is provided. An open enrollment is held each year from mid-August to late September. 

All premium payments are made through payroll deduction. The 2024 bi-weekly premiums are:


Bi-Weekly Rate





Premiums generally change on January 1 of each year.  

To enroll, employees need to provide ALL required documentation below before enrollments can be processed:

  1. Enrollment form
  2. Social Security Card* for self and all dependents;
  3. Copy of birth certificate for self and all dependents (A passport can be accepted in lieu of a birth certificate for the enrollee and spouse/partner only.  Birth Certificate copies must be provided for dependent children);
  4. Marriage certificate or domestic partner certification, if applicable;
  5. If enrolling a spouse: Proof of current joint ownership/financial obligation for marriages over one year old (i.e. prior year's tax return, current bank/mortgage statement, or homeowner's policy.
  6. Statement of Dependence for children other than natural, legally adopted, or dependent stepchildren.

*International Students that need to obtain a Social Security Card can find detailed information and instructions here.

Incomplete enrollment packages can not be processed. Contact [email protected] with questions. Top


All employees, including student employees, are eligible to join.


Eligible Graduate and Teaching Asssistants may take advantage of the Dependent Care Advantage Account (DCAA). The DCAA allows employees to pay for up to $5,000 per year of dependent care expenses on a pre-tax basis. Qualified dependents include children under the age of 13, disabled children of any age, and relatives residing in the employee's home who are incapable of caring for themselves. Employees must enroll within the first 60 days of employment (or within 60 days of a change in family status) or wait until an annual enrollment period in the Fall. Visit the above website for additional information, including the employer’s current contribution toward participation in this program.


E. Sick Leave Top

After the first semester of service, Graduate and Teaching Assistants covered by the GSEU bargaining unit are eligible for a maximum of five leave days for personal illness with pay per academic year. No sick leave days are available the first semester of an assistantship. Leave does not accumulate from year to year. Leave is subject to the approval of the supervisor. For questions about this benefit please call 437-4700.


Please contact the GSEU directly for more information:

1-607-762-1104 (Education Division Headquarters for GSEU)

Albany contact:


[email protected]