Charges for Withdrawing/Dropping Courses

Not So Fast, Don't Drop That Class!
Check Your Tuition Liability First!

~Withdrawing from all your courses on MyUAlbany does not constitute an official withdrawal. Please contact the appropriate office from the list below.
~Undergraduates: Contact Undergraduate Education to complete a Withdrawal Form,
(518) 442-3950.
~Graduates: Refer to the Graduate Bulletin for registration policies and notify your advisor.
~General Studies/Visiting Students: Contact the Office of General Studies,
(518) 442-5140.
~Students living in residence halls who decide to leave the University must contact
Residential Life, (518) 442-5875.
***Dropping classes can result in a reduction of your financial aid such as PELL, TAP, Stafford Loans, etc.  Check with the Student Financial Services Center to learn how your enrollment affects your awards.***

 Click here for Tuition Liability charts and more information.

When you register, you assume responsibility for paying all tuition and fee charges associated with your registration. If you wish to drop a course OR formally withdraw from the University, you MUST login to the MYUAlbany student portal and drop your courses.  Unless you drop or withdraw from your courses by the published deadlines below, you must pay tuition and fee charges even if you did not attend a single class. Failure to do so may result in your obligation to pay for courses you did not attend.  Dropping courses could result in a reduction of your financial aid award, which would increase the amount owed.Please view the tuition liability deadlines for drops/withdrawals If You Are Withdrawing or Dropping Classes:
  • Undergraduate Students: please contact the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, 518-442-5821.   A matriculated Undergraduate Student withdrawing from an entire semester’s course load must complete a Withdrawal Form in the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (LC 30).
  • Graduate Students, refer to the Graduate Bulletin for policies regarding continuous registration and notify your advisor of any dropped courses or withdrawals.
  • General Studies/Visiting Students, contact the Office of General Studies, 518-442-5140.
  • Students living in residence halls who decide to leave the University must also contact the Office of Residential Life at 518-442-5875.

How This Will Affect Your Tuition and Fees:

How This Will Affect Your Financial Aid:

  • As with any change to your schedule, please be advised that enrollment changes may impact your eligibility for financial aid for the current term and/or future terms. Contact the Financial Aid Office at regarding academic eligibility for financial aid.
  • Click here for more information.

Federal regulations dictate the formula used in the return of federal Title IV financial aid as a result of withdrawal. The amount of aid earned is based on the date of withdrawal from the university. Withdrawing students with federal Title IV aid may have a portion of their aid returned to the aid program.

If you do not plan to attend the University this term, you MUST notify the appropriate University Office (Withdrawals General Studies 442-5140; Withdrawals Undergraduate 442-5821; Graduate Studies 442-3980) or the charges will remain your personal obligation. Students who officially withdraw from the University or reduce the number of credits for which they are registered may be entitled to an adjustment of charges or a refund of amounts paid. Any refund or adjustment of charges will be based on the official drop/withdrawal date, not the date of last class attended.