Charges for Withdrawing/Dropping Courses
Not So Fast, Don't Drop That Class!
Check Your Tuition Liability First!
Withdrawing or dropping a course may result in partial or full tuition and fees liability even if you don't attend a single class.
Swapping is dropping course(s) of equal credit value during the two-week drop/add period at the start of a semester. If you start at full-time (FT) status (12 credits or greater) and swap courses while still maintaining FT status, there will be no change to charges and/or financial aid.
Dropping Without Swapping1
Dropping is cancelling enrollment for a course(s) on MyUAlbany and not replacing (swapping) it with another course. If you drop course(s) causing your registration to go below 12 credits (FT), you may be liable for charges associated with the dropped course.
Withdrawing from UAlbany1
Withdrawing is cancelling your registration for ALL courses for an entire semester or leaving the University altogether. If you decide to formally withdraw from the University, you must DROP all courses on MyUAlbany AND contact the appropriate office below related to your academic status. Simply dropping courses on MyUAlbany or non-attendance does not constitute an official withdrawal.
New Undergraduate Students: Before classes start, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 518.442.5435
Undergraduate Students: Office of Undergraduate Education to complete a Withdrawal Form, 518.442.5821
Graduate Students: Office of Graduate Education, firstname.lastname@example.org and academic department
International Students: Office of International Student and Scholar Services, 518.591.8189
General Studies/Visiting Students: Office of General Studies, 518.442.5140
1IMPORTANT NOTE: Dropping/withdrawing may result in partial or full tuition and fees liability and/or a reduction or cancellation of your financial aid such as PELL, TAP, Stafford Loans, etc. Check with the Student Financial Center to learn how your enrollment affects your awards, and click here for Tuition Liability charts and more information.
How This Will Affect Your Tuition and Fees
- Click on the links above to view our tuition liability charts.
- Click here for our Tuition and Fees charts. Click here for a description of all fees.
- Please note that the University Fee and SEVIS Fee are non-refundable for course withdrawals bearing an official drop/withdrawal date of the first day of the session or later.
- If you do not plan to attend the University this term, you MUST notify the appropriate University Office as listed above or the charges will remain your personal obligation.
- Students who officially withdraw from the University or reduce the number of credits for which they are registered may be entitled to an adjustment of charges or a refund of amounts paid. Any refund or adjustment of charges will be based on the official drop/withdrawal date, not the date of last class attended.
How This Will Affect Your Financial Aid