1098-T Information

UAlbany's EIN for your 1098-T is 16-1514621.

*If you log in to epay.albany.edu as an authorized user, you may not see a 1098-T.  The student needs to log in to his/her account to access the 1098-T or provide access to the authorized user.*

1098-T forms for 2016 were mailed January, 31, 2017 to the permanent student address listed in MyUAlbany.

A copy of your 1098-T information was also made available on epay.albany.edu.
PDF Instructions on How to Access Your 1098-T in epay.albany.edu

PDF Instructions on How to Access Your 1098-T in ECSI

See our Frequently Asked Questions below:

Q: Why are the amounts in Boxes 2 and 5 different from what I expected?
Please review the following guidelines for information on what are eligible tuition and fee charges and what is reported in each box:  1098-T (TRA97) Guidelines.

Q: Why is my 1098-T with box 2 filled out, but box 1 is blank. Can I receive a 1098-T with box 1 filled out?
A: The University at Albany reports only amounts billed; we do not report amounts paid on our 1098-Ts. Please see the guidelines for more details on what is reported on your form.

Q:Where is my 2016 1098-T? I attended in Spring 2016
A: Most students who last attended in Spring 2016 have already seen this information on their 2015 1098-T. Since the University does not report amounts paid (rather we report amounts billed) for tuition and qualified expenses in a given year, it is often the case that Spring’s tuition appears on the 1098-T of the previous year. You can confirm this by checking to see if there is a checkmark in box 7 of your 2015 1098-T, which reads “Check this box if the amount in box 1 or 2 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January—March 2016”.

Q: Why did I receive a 1098-T with no value in either box 1 or box 2, yet scholarships are reported in box 5?
A: You have received a 1098-T for this year because you had grants and scholarships pay between January 1st and December 31st. It is entirely possible to receive grants and scholarships in a given year for tuition and qualified expenses billed during a prior year.

Q: Why does the University issue 1098-T forms?
A: Federal regulations require educational institutions, such as the University at Albany, to provide information about qualified tuition and related expenses (reported on Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement) to the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) and to you. The information about qualified tuition and related expenses helps to determine whether you qualify for any available tax credit to reduce your federal income tax liability.

Q:  Why does the University require me to supply my Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)?
A: Federal regulations requires that the University request and retain your ITIN or SSN so it may be reported on the Form 1098-T. 

If the University at Albany's records are missing your SSN or ITIN you will be requested and expected to provide it. As required by the IRS's Internal Revenue Code, section 6109, you are required to give the correct SSN or ITIN to UAlbany so we may issue you a valid 1098-T. If you fail to do so, the IRS may impose a penalty of $50 unless your failure is due to reasonable cause and not willful neglect.

To update or add an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or a Social Security Number (SSN), visit the "Finances" tab on MyUAlbany, and selecting the link for "SSN/ITIN Add/Update HERE.".  You will be prompted to sign in again with your NetID and Password to access the SSN update form.

Q: I just got a Social Security Number/Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. I don’t see a 1098-T. What can I do?
If you’re looking for a 1098-T, it is first necessary to input your SSN/ITIN on MyUAlbany. You can do this by logging into MyUAlbany, clicking on the Finances tab, then clicking "SSN/ITIN Add/Update HERE.". If you are unable to update your SSN/ITIN using this form, please contact the Registrar's office for assistance. Once you've added the SSN/ITIN, it will be necessary for Student Accounts to manually generate your 1098-T, so you'll need to contact the Student Financial Center to request a 1098-T be created. PLEASE NOTE: The SFC will only manually generate 1098-Ts for students with a change to their SSNs/ITINs. Once the 1098-T is ready, you will be emailed with instructions on how to access it electronically; this manually generated 1098-T will not appear on ePay, will not be sent to the IRS, and will not be sent by mail - it may take up to two weeks to have your 1098-T created.

Please be advised:  If you have not provided the University with your Social Security Number, then we create a 1098T with an artificial number and a $50 penalty may be imposed.  The current 1098T form can still be used; however, if you update your SSN or ITIN, subsequent forms will be issued with your updated information.

Some tax benefits are available to families and students who are paying the costs of higher education. Qualified students may take advantage of educational tax benefits.

Information on tax benefits, educational tax incentives and your eligibility may be obtained from the Department of Taxation-Internal Revenue Service at 1(800) 829-1040 or from a tax advisor. The IRS also provides Publication 970 as a guide to tax benefits. To view this publication, please visit their website.

You may also search the IRS's site for the "Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center," where you will find information on the American Opportunity Credit, Hope Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit.

Information is also available at the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website regarding tax credits and deductions. Please visit their website and search for “Tax Credits/Deductions.”

The University and its employees cannot provide tax information, assistance, or advice.