A Month-Long Engagement
Public engagement and service are core values at UAlbany.
ALBANY, N.Y. (March 27, 2018) – UAlbany celebrates Public Engagement Month in April with an impressive roster of activities, from the inauguration of President Havidán Rodríguez on April 13, to the BIG EVENT on April 21 and special events including guest appearances by Salman Rushdie, Patti LuPone and Cokie Roberts.
This is the first time UAlbany has observed an entire month of public engagement activities.
“Our goal is to demonstrate the importance of engagement at a public research university and to encourage the UAlbany community to celebrate and experience the diverse and impactful scholarship and service happening all around us on our three campuses and extending into the communities we work collectively with,” said Alfredo Medina Jr., executive director of the Office for Public Engagement.
A sampling of the events happening during Public Engagement Month:
- President Havidán Rodríguez’s inauguration on Friday, April 13, at 2 p.m. in the Main Theatre of the Performing Arts Center. More information is available.
- The Sodexo/UUP Fight Hunger 5K and Mindful Mile on Saturday, April 14. The race begins behind Indian Quad at 9 a.m. Registration opens at 8 a.m.
- The BIG EVENT on Saturday, April 21, a day of UAlbany faculty, staff and students volunteering on campus and in the surrounding communities.
- The President’s Awards for Exemplary Public Engagement, Monday, April 30.
- Symposia related to criminal justice, public health, international affairs and public policy.
- Special events featuring renowned authors and artists, including Salman Rushdie, Patti LuPone and Cokie Roberts, guests of the New York State Writers Institute.
See the full calendar of Public Engagement Month activities.
Public engagement is often confused with community service, Medina said. “Community service is an important aspect of engagement, but there are many other ways members of the UAlbany community work with internal and external partners to address critical societal challenges, including community-based participatory research, innovative teaching, service learning and creative activities that contribute to the public good.”
In addition, public engagement and service are core values at UAlbany. This type of activity takes place year-round and is integral to research, teaching, learning and creative activities, according to Medina.
For more news, subscribe to UAlbany's RSS headline feeds
About the University at Albany
A comprehensive public research university, the University at Albany-SUNY offers more than 120 undergraduate majors and minors and 125 master's, doctoral, and graduate certificate programs. UAlbany is a leader among all New York State colleges and universities in such diverse fields as atmospheric and environmental sciences, business, public health, health sciences, criminal justice, emergency preparedness, engineering and applied sciences, informatics, public administration, social welfare, and sociology taught by an extensive roster of faculty experts. It also offers expanded academic and research opportunities for students through an affiliation with Albany Law School. With a curriculum enhanced by 600 study-abroad opportunities, UAlbany launches great careers.