The Strategic Planning Steering Committee will consider such topics as enhancing the student experience, expanding degree programs, and deepening public engagement. (Photo by Mark McCarty)
ALBANY, N.Y. (August 22, 2016) — Fourteen members of the faculty and professional staff have been selected for the Strategic Planning Steering Committee (SPSC).
Provost James Stellar and Chief of Staff Leanne Wirkkula, in announcing the appointments last Thursday, characterized all members of the group, chosen from nominations across the University, as “innovative and strategic thinkers.”
SPSC, the central coordinating group for developing the University’s strategic goals, will begin meeting this month and continue throughout the academic year. The entire campus community can contribute ideas at meetings to be held in the fall semester and through various working groups.
The committee’s broad objectives include expanding degree-granting programs; increasing enrollment, including out-of-state and international students; deepening the University’s public engagement; strengthening the University’s financial resources; and enhancing the student experience.
Stellar and Wirkkula will co-chair the steering committee. The members are:
- Marlene Belfort, Distinguished Professor, Biological Sciences
- Joseph Brennan, Vice President, Communications and Marketing
- Cynthia Fox, Associate Professor, Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Sanjay Goel, Professor and Chair, Information Technology Management
- Glyne Griffith, Associate Professor and Chair, English
- Kajal Lahiri, Distinguished Professor, Economics
- Jason Lane, Associate Professor and Chair, Educational Administration and Policy Studies
- JoAnne Malatesta, Assistant Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and Director, Advisement Services Center
- Mary Ellen Mallia, Director, Environmental Sustainability
- Li Niu, Professor and Chair, Chemistry
- Julie Novkov, Professor and Chair, Political Science
- Estela Rivero, Director, Counseling and Psychological Services
- Darrell Wheeler, Dean and Professor, School of Social Welfare and Vice Provost for Public Engagement
- Robert Yagelski, Professor, Educational Theory and Practice, Associate Vice Provost and Director of the Writing and Critical Inquiry program
For more news, subscribe to UAlbany's RSS headline feeds
About the University at Albany
A comprehensive public research university, the University at Albany offers more than 120 undergraduate majors and minors and 125 master's, doctoral, and graduate certificate programs. UAlbany is a leader among all New York State colleges and universities in such diverse fields as atmospheric and environmental sciences, business, criminal justice, emergency preparedness, engineering and applied sciences, informatics, public administration, social welfare, and sociology taught by an extensive roster of faculty experts. It also offers expanded academic and research opportunities for students through an affiliation with Albany Law School. With a curriculum enhanced by 600 study-abroad opportunities, UAlbany launches great careers.