The World of Career Discovery
Designed to encourage incoming freshmen who have not yet decided on a major to explore the possibilities. Through coursework, guest-lectures, networking, and community service, students "try on" a variety of fields, and move toward deciding on a major.
As a member of the World of Career Discovery Living-Learning Community, you will:
- Live in a residence hall with other students who are exploring potential majors
- Explore the different majors and minors available at the University at Albany
- Learn how your major may translate into a career
- Understand your personal strengths and
preferences through instruments like the Meyers Briggs Temperament Indicator
(MBTI) and how those might lead to a choice in academic major and career.
- Begin developing career-related skills through résumé writing and networking workshops
- Meet representatives from a variety of student clubs and organizations
- Actively participate in L-LC events (guest speaker presentations, workshops, study groups, outings) in both the fall and spring semester
- Participate in at least one community service project each semester
- Take some of your classes together with other members of your L-LC
- Form study groups for your L-LC classes
- Have lunch with your professor on a regular basis
What members of Living-Learning Communities are saying:
“I loved living with people who shared common interests and took some of the same classes.” -L-LC student, Class of 2014
“The comfort level that was created by those seamless interactions with the upper-class students and me built a very solid foundation for the students to develop a comfort level with each other as the semester went forward." -Hon. Joe Sheehan, L-LC professor
View our 2012-2013 brochure!