Community Development and Planning
Explore by Program
- Biodiversity, Conservation and Policy Program
Faculty and students conduct conservation-oriented research, serve on conservation boards, act as advisors, and provide technical assistance in local communities.
- Center for Excellence in Aging & Community Wellness
The Center develops, tests and implements innovative practices and policies addressing the needs of aging persons, their families, and caregivers.
- Committee on University and Community Relations
A campus-community collaborative to improve relations and partnerships between UAlbany and the larger community in which it resides.
- Community and Public Service Program (RSSW 290, 291 and 390)
The Community and Public Service Program provides undergraduate students from all disciplines with volunteer community service opportunities for academic credit.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Internship Program
A paid internship program, working with New York State agencies and other organizations using Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Global Center for Critical Demography and Public Sociology
Conducts scholarship based upon critical demography paradigm and the development of concepts that historically do not fit traditional demography.
- Graduate Planning Studios
Students participate in a real-world planning project that addresses an actual planning problem in a community.
- Lewis Mumford Center for Comparative Urban and Regional Research
Carries out comparative and historical urban research to further Lewis Mumford's ideal of local involvement with global vision
- Midtown Neighborhood Watch
Patrols by local residents and college students with Albany Police Department coordination to report unsafe conditions and disseminate safety information.
- NYS Council for Universal Broadband
NYS Council recommends ways to extend high-speed and broadband access to under-served rural and urban areas throughout the state.
- National Transportation Information Systems Planning
UAlbany Professor Catherine Lawson chairs several panels and committees for the National Academy of Science's Transportation Research Board.
- Partnership with New York State Office for the Aging
The Center for Excellence in Aging & Community Wellness shares a Research Associate for research and grant-writing with the NYS Office for Aging.
- Planning Jobs and Internships
Graduate planning students are placed in part-time positions with local planning offices, consulting firms, state agencies, and non-profit organizations.
- Small Business Development Center
The Small Business Development Center, University at Albany (SBDC, UA) offers no-cost counseling for assisting start-up and existing businesses.
- Study Tour to South Africa
Students, faculty, scholars, and community practitioners travel to South Africa and other African counties each summer on a study mission.