Following the AV review, the PI will submit the original IACUC Protocol Submission and related documents/forms with all required signatures, including:
- PI and co-investigator (if applicable);
- attending veterinarian;
- dean or department chair
The Form and related documents/forms should be sent to:
The Office of Regulatory Research Compliance
Attn: Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
Forms may be mailed or hand-delivered. Incomplete applications will be returned to the sender without review.
ORRC Administrative Review
ORRC staff will triage the protocol to ensure that the protocol submission is complete; i.e., that all required elements (e.g., training certificates, grant application, etc.) have been submitted. The protocol will then be referred to a research compliance administrator (RCA) for administrative review. The RCA will notify the PI when the protocol is accepted for IACUC review.
The purpose of the administrative review is to identify issues that are either incomplete or unclear, thereby preventing or delaying approval by the IACUC. Once issues are identified, the PI must respond to and/or revise the protocol before it can be referred on for IACUC review. Protocols that require extensive revision or are missing a significant amount of information will take longer to review.
Although the administrative review process will materially improve the probability that the protocol will be approved, it does not guarantee approval. It is to the PI’s advantage to follow this submission format to avoid delaying the review process.
A protocol will be considered complete and accepted for review if it meets ALL the following criteria:
- the protocol form and related documents/forms, signed by the appropriate parties, and the signed veterinarian checklist are received by ORRC. E-mail submissions are no longer accepted. The protocol will be returned to the PI if it is incomplete;
- an administrative review by an RCA has determined that the PI has submitted all information necessary for the IACUC to adequately review the protocol;
- a grant review has determined that the information presented in the proposed protocol is congruent with the research proposed in the grant application;
- training requirements for the PI and all research personnel have been met.
Submissions Requiring Full Committee Review
The IACUC is notified of all incoming protocol and amendment applications by the ORRC. Species, pain category, and a brief description of the activities covered in the application are included in the notice. The IACUC is given the opportunity to request designated member review of the application or to call for full committee review.
Protocols accepted for review which require full committee review are placed on the agenda of the next scheduled meeting.
The PI will receive an e-mail from the RCA indicating the date of the meeting at which their protocol will be reviewed. PIs are invited to attend the meeting time to address any IACUC questions or concerns.