Special Education M.S. Degree Program (Internship Certificate)
This program leads to the graduate degree needed for professional teacher certification in the area of Childhood (1-6) and initial/professional certification in Students with Disabilities (1-6).
Teaching is a profession. Master’s students have professional responsibilities to their students, their peers, their classmates and instructors, and to society at large. Students in the master’s program will be working with children and other professionals in educational contexts, including, schools, community centers, and other sites of learning. Their professional responsibilities include following through on commitments made to children and schools, being appropriately prepared and on time for all interactions/lessons, maintaining confidentiality and respect, and interacting with all stakeholders/participants in a professional manner. Professional interactions include everything from dressing appropriately for the situation to maintaining appropriate language both in talking with and talking about others. Failure to meet professional responsibilities can result in a student’s academic dismissal from the program.
MS in Special Education - 35 Credits
- E Ltl 500 Classroom Literacy Instruction (3)
E Spe 650 Instructional Environments and Practicies for Students with Disabilities (3)
- E Spe 651 Developing Reading Comprehension and Content Knowledge for Students with Disabilities (3)
- E Spe 652 Math and Inquiry Instruction for Students with Disabilities (3)
- E Spe 653 Managing School and Classroom-wide Student Behavior to Promote Efficient
and Effective Instruction (3)
- E Spe 654 Teaching Students with Severe and Multiple Disabilities (3)
- E Spe 655 Assessment of Students with Disabilities (3)
- E Spe 656 Teaching Written Expression to Students with Disabilities (3)
- E Spe 669 Educating Students with Emotional Disorders and Challenging Behaviors:
Advanced Tiers of Support (3)
- E Spe 680A Clinical Internship: Teaching Students with Disabilities OR
E Spe 680B Clinical Internship: Teaching Students with Disabilities OR
E Spe 682 Clinical Intenship: Teaching Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
(for a total of 6)
- E Spe 681 Clinical Internship Seminar: Teaching Students with Disabilities (2)
Additional Program/NYSED Requirements:
Please note: This program requires an internship, field experience, study abroad component, or clinical experience requirement. Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of certain academic programs and/or to meet licensure requirements for certain professions. If you have concerns about this matter please contact the Dean’s Office of your intended academic program.
As an approved teacher preparation program with the New York State Education Department, there may be additional certification requirements applicable. These requirements may include, but are not limited to additional workshops. Certification procedures and requirements are outlined on the School of Education’s Teacher Certification website (https://www.albany.edu/education/pathways-education-center). This program is approved for licensure or certification in New York State and the institution has not made a determination regarding the educational requirements for any other state.