of the Milne School
campus laboratory school dates from 1845, when the teacher training primary (elementary)
school was formed. This program was known as the Experimental School until 1867,
when it became the Model School of the Albany Normal School. The mission of the
experimental school was to provide a convenient location for practice teaching.|
In 1890, the State Normal College created a high school teacher practice program, which was named the Milne School in 1915 after William J. Milne, the late college president. In 1889 Dr. Milne had been requested to prepare an overview reorganization plan for the Normal School and to include a high grade (high school level) professional school. Dr. Milne is considered to be the "father" of the high school.
The Milne School's dual purpose was to serve both as a high school education program and as a teacher training environment for college students. The school closed its doors in June 1977 after extensive debate on the purpose and merit of the program and because of the economic cutbacks in the State University system in the 1970s.
Milne School was always associated with the University as a practice teaching
school, possibly one of the earliest practice teaching schools in the country.
Originally known as the Experimental or Model School, it was associated with the
New York State Normal School, whose mission from 1844 to 1890 was to train teachers
for the Common Schools of New York (grades 1-8). The Experimental School opened
its doors on May 2, 1845, six months after the first classes were held in the
New York State Normal School. The Experimental School would become the Milne School
and last as a teaching laboratory until 1977.
In December 1905 the Regents mandated that the Normal College would train only
high school teachers in a four-year liberal arts college for teachers (thus the
name New York State College for Teachers that the University held between 1915
and 1959). The following month the Normal College's building burned down and the
college, and presumably the high school department, were located in temporary
quarters until the new campus could be completed. When the original three buildings
-- Science, Administration, and Auditorium (what we know today as Husted, Draper,
and Hawley Halls) -- on the Downtown Campus were opened in 1909, Geoff believes
the high school department was located in what would become Draper Hall (until
1927 it was known as the Administration Building). Milne Hall was not opened and
occupied by the Milne School until 1929 when Milne, Page, and Richardson Halls
were added to the original three-building Downtown Campus. The junior high department
at the Milne School was briefly established between 1915 and 1921, when it was
discontinued due to lack of space. The Milne junior high was revived permanently
in 1929 as a part of the Milne School when the practice-teaching school moved
from the small-space Draper Hall to the much larger Milne building.
University Archives has a complete collection of