UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY
STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK
Introduced by: Governance Subcommittee
Date: March 1, 2004
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT FOR THE UNIVERSITY SENATE
IT IS HEREBY PROPOSED THAT THE FOLLOWING BE ADOPTED:
1. That the Chair of the Senate shall receive from the Office of the President release time equivalent to one course per semester.
2. That this shall become effective Fall 2004.
3. That this policy shall be forwarded to the Interim President for approval.
The bylaws committee and the governance subcommittee strongly recommend that a teaching release be provided to the University Senate Chair in consideration of:
· the benefit to the university community provided by active senate
· the substantial time commitment
· the need for flexible scheduling availability
· the multi-year sequence of offices
· common practice at peer institutions
This release would only be for the year served as Chair, not as Vice Chair or Immediate Past Chair.