EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
November 19, 2001
 

Present: C. Carr, M. Dalton, S. Doellefeld, B. Dudek, C. MacDonald, D. McCaffrey, J. Place, J. Pipkin, R. Toseland, E. Turner, L. Williams, E. Wulfert

Guests: R. Farrell, C. Santiago

Chair Wulfert called the meeting to order at 3:35 p.m.

1. Approval of Minutes
There were a number of corrections. On page 2, under President's Report, the fourth paragraph, the second sentence should read: "There is a hiring freeze." The fifth paragraph, the third sentence should read: "There will be an increase in costs, said Provost Santiago."

On page 2, under Council Reports, under EPC, the third sentence should read: "Professor McCaffrey will meet with the Provost to discuss how the EPC will work with others concerning the Spring 2000 student survey."

The second paragraph under EPC, the first 2 sentences should read: "The Provost reported that there have been improvements regarding advisement of first and second year students. Albany continues to rank third or fourth in other areas among the other University Centers."

On page 3, under New Business, Faculty Forum Topics, the second paragraph, the first sentence should read: "The topics for consideration are: incentive-based budgeting; quality of the students experience; making optional the minor; and..."

On page 4, the first paragraph, the fourth line from the bottom, change the word members to members'.

There being no further corrections, the October 15, 2001, Executive Committee Minutes were approved as corrected.

2. University Faculty Senate Report
Professor Turner had nothing new to report.
 
 

3. Chair's Report
Chair Wulfert noted that the topic of Student/Faculty Interactions and Advisements for the Faculty Forum was suggested at the last Executive Committee meeting. The Forum had approximately 54 attendees, half of which were teaching faculty. Professor Hauser discussed the retention task force findings; Mr. Szelest discussed the student survey; three departmental advisors gave their perspectives on advisement models; and Dean Faerman spoke about making the minor optional. There was full participation by the audience and about half of the discussion concerned making the minor optional (the opinions were against this), said Chair Wulfert. The second half of the discussion concerned the student survey. Four students voiced their opinions and stated that students should take more of an initiative.

4. President's Report
Provost Santiago reported for President Hitchcock. He noted that the students held a candle light service for those in American airline crash. There will be a memorial service.

Provost Santiago stated that there will be a December Commencement. Commencement will be twice a year instead of once a year.

There is no premium for enrollment growth in the budget, the Provost said. Faculty hires are continuing.

Faculty hiring and the launching of a capital campaign were in the President's Faculty Meeting speech, said the Provost. These are the two main priorities. He suggested the Executive Committee members read the Mission Review document because this tells where the University will grow.

Provost Santiago reported that the President has an upcoming meeting concerning the Harriman campus. The Capital Plan (construction funds) is hopeful that this will move forward as this funding is bonded.

Provost Santiago reported on the Life Sciences building cornerstone laying.

5. Council Reports
a. CPCA: Professor Toseland had nothing to report.
b. EPC: Professor McCaffrey reported that EPC had discussed the modification of class times. Mr. Gibson is to circulate the proposal to department chairs. EPC also discussed the student survey again. Professor McCaffrey reported on his meeting with the Provost on how EPC would deal with the survey. He also met with Institutional Research. They will use data that has been collected and review it. Professor McCaffrey read a statement from EPC. EPC will meet with the President and Provost next week.

Provost Santiago reported that he reviewed the EPC minutes for the past three years reviewed the Bylaws that speaks to EPC's role in budget discussions. This merits a review. URPAC has an EPC representative as well as the Executive Committee. If the Senate wants to alter representative on URPAC, there can be two from EPC and none from the Executive Committee. The President and the Provost will meet with EPC to discuss the history on this and what might develop.

Professor Pipkin stated that the Bylaws are old. He requested that the Council chairs review their charges to determine if they are correct. There seem to be many ad hoc committees, said Professor MacDonald, this should be a Senate committee. The number of committees should be reduced to make things more efficient. The Executive Committee should appoint a Bylaws Committee to review them and/or write a new set. Since everything is advisory to the President, Professor Pipkin said, he suggested asking the President how can we help and how can we best fill in the needs with Senate committees. Chair Wulfert agreed that the Bylaws should be reviewed and suggested that a subcommittee review the structure.

Provost Santiago stated that information drives URPAC meetings. The underlining philosophy is an important point, said Professor McCaffrey, and there are things that could be cleaned up in the Bylaws. Within a given structure, there is a great amount of room to affect the spirit of what is taking place. The EPC minutes reflect the quality of EPC members and URPAC, said the Provost, and there is a need for EPC involvement in URPAC. EPC would like to hear the views of the Executive Committee, said Professor McCaffrey. He repeated that EPC and possibly all the Councils should review their charges. Chair Wulfert agreed. Professor Pipkin stated that the fundamental issue is that there are two claims on governance: 1) the desire of faculty, staff and students and 2) to serve the President. Is there some way that governance could meet the President's needs in relation to URPAC?

Professor McCaffrey asked for other comments/advice to EPC on how EPC should deal with the budgetary issue. Dr. Farrell reviewed what had happened in the budgetary process in the early 1990s. Former President Swygert talked about faculty retrenchment; there would not be any retrenchment of faculty. Dr. Farrell suggested reviewing back minutes for history.
c. GAC: Professor MacDonald reported that Associate Provost Mumpower discussed details of implementing the one-credit courses. GAC approved the MPA program.
d. UAC: Professor Dalton noted that there are two items under New Business.
e. RES: Professor Dudek reported that RES is working through the campus funding mechanisms.
f. LISC: Dr. Doellefeld noted that there are items are under New Business. Ms. Haile asked that there be a CIOS report as a standing item on the agenda. LISC members agreed to this.
g. CAFÉ: Ms. Place had nothing to report.
h. ULC: Dr. Carr reported that Vice President Stec attended the last meeting. Dr. Carr will follow through with ULC's concerns. Three subcommittees have been formed: one on school spirit; one on physical plant concerns; and one to discuss relationships with retired employees and how to have them reconnect with the university. ULC visited State Quad cafeteria and asked students about their concerns with school life.

6. Old Business
There was no Old Business.

7. New Business
a. Council Changes. The Council changes were moved, seconded and approved to forward to the Senate.
b. Proposed Senate Bill: Revision of the Undergraduate Residence Requirements. Professor Dalton explained that this was meant to fix a problem for students who are abroad for their senior year. It will lessen the need for waivers. It was moved and seconded to forward to the Senate. Corrections were made on cover sheet.
c. Proposed Senate Bill: Propose Amendment A to Senate Bill No. 0001-02 (University at Albany Policy for the Responsible Use of Information Technology). Dr. Doellefeld noted that the e-mail policy was removed from the original Senate Bill by LISC. This is an addendum to the existing policy.
d.
e. Members noted that this seems to be top down. Dr. Doellefeld noted that executive communication is anything that comes from the President and/or the Vice Presidents. He gave examples and will adjust the language in the second bullet. Professor Dalton stated that he has a contact list where various events are sent to people. Can an e-mail list be made for this information? That cannot be made into a blanket list, said Dr. Doellefeld. LISC intentionally did not deal with repercussions. It was suggested that there be a plan in mind to deal with repercussions. It was moved and seconded to forward to Senate. It was noted that changes could be made from the floor of the Senate. The motion was approved.
f. Proposed Senate Bill: Proposal to Establish a Joint Degree Involving the BA in Public Policy and the Master's Degree in Public Administration (MPA). Professor McCaffrey noted that this was a remedy to an anomaly situation. It was moved, seconded and approved to forward to Senate.

8. Adjournment
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:11 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Lillian S. Williams
Secretary