October 21, 2002

Present: D. Armstrong, R. Collier, P. Duchessi, K. Hitchcock, H. Horton, R. Hoyt, C. MacDonald, J. Pipkin, M. Pryse, K. Smith, G. Spitze, E. Turner, E. Wulfert

Chair Pipkin called the meeting to order at 3:36 p.m.

1. Approval of September 9 Minutes
Under President's Report, the third paragraph should read: "The President reported that the themes for the coming academic year that she will discuss at the Fall Faculty Meeting will include faculty excellence (e.g., hiring practices, promotion and censure policies) and student retention (e.g., quality and rigor of our curriculum). She also reported on the net increase in new faculty this year. In addition, the President reported that, as announced at the Spring Meeting of the Faculty, she will convene a series of campus-wide faculty fora focusing on our strategic goals and will also be meeting with the faculities of our individual schools/colleges."

On page 2, the first paragraph, the last sentence should read: "The 5-year plan will be in effect for predominantly rehab/renovation rather than new construction, the President said."

Under Council Reports, CAFÉ, the last sentence should read: "She will meet with Professor Wulfert and the committee on academic misconduct to determine how it will affect CAFÉ."

There being no further corrections, the September 9 Executive Committee Minutes were approved as amended.

2. President's Report
President Hitchcock reported that enrollment and revenue targets have been met.

The President had no new information on the State budget. She noted that tuition would clearly be a discussion item after the election. The President looks forward to continuing to work with URPAC as the budget process moves forward.

The President invited the Executive Committee to participate in the Arts and Sciences celebration on October 25 as the new Dean is welcomed to our University community. She reported on the extremely positive responses of the community to the Albany Heritage Program, in which many faculty are participating along with over 40 cultural and educational organizations around the Capital Region. She also reported on the opening of the Boor Sculpture Studio, and a very successful Homecoming/Parents Weekend.

3. University Faculty Senate Report
Mr. Collier reported on the meeting in Purchase. He reported on the rational funding group, which is supporting tuition indexing annually; unfunded mandates; a speech by Trustee Daniels; and the transfer initiative.

He reported that the Neil C. Levin Graduate Studies Institute in Manhattan would be staffed by SUNY faculty and those outside the system. President Hitchcock commented that Mr. Levin was a highly respected State leader who was killed on September 11, 2001. The Institute centers on international commerce and will utilize adjunct faculty. The President of the Institute is visiting many of the SUNY campuses to talk about its programs. The Institute will be a degree granting institution.

Mr. Collier reported that there are 44 campus proposals on assessment of the major and 24 approved proposals on the general education assessment.

Executive Committee members discussed the possible influx of students at SUNY institutions because of the market values. Mr. Collier stated he would be willing to bring this issue up at a University Faculty Senate meeting.

4. Chair's Report
Chair Pipkin congratulated Ms. Cicero on her retirement.

Chair Pipkin distributed a proposal for the School of Nanosciences and Nanoengineering graduate curriculum. GAC will review the proposal.

The Chair would like counsel on possible topics for the Faculty Forum and a letter he received from members of the School of Nanosciences and Nanoengineering. These will be discussed under New Business.

5. Council Reports
a. CPCA: Professor Spitze had nothing to report.
b. EPC: Professor Wulfert reported that EPC confirmed Professors Logan and McCaffrey as the two EPC representatives to URPAC. Provost Santiago reported on the early retirement incentive at the first EPC meeting.
c. GAC: Professor MacDonald reported that the three subcommittees have been staffed. GAC is considering a number of issues and will meet on November 1 to discuss the graduate curriculum for the School of Nanosciences and Nanoengineering.
d. UAC: Professor Hoyt reported that there are two items under New Business. The subcommittees continue to be staffed.
e. RES: Chair Pipkin reported for Professor Dudek. GAC has undertaken to clarify our campus procedures for selecting recipients of the campus and SUNY System Excellence in Research Awards. RES worked with Interim Vice President Bloniarz to modify the FRAP awards process this year; for the current year, there will be only one FRAP award.
f. LISC: Professor Duchessi reported that Ms. Haile gave an overview of ITS and its activities. Ms. Butler and Ms. Carroll reported on their subcommittees' activities.
g. CAFÉ: Professor Armstrong noted that no issues have been brought forward. She is trying to interface with the By-Laws committee and the academic integrity committee. Professor Wulfert reported that there would be one more meeting of the academic integrity meeting. The committee will present a draft document to the President.
h. ULC: Chair Pipkin reported for Professor Smith. ULC will address the following issues: 1) noise from car alarms and car stereos near academic buildings have been reported to be a disturbance to the academic environment and 2) retired faculty have expressed interest in maintaining contact with the academic environment.

Professor MacDonald reported on the By-Laws committee. Discussions included a separate assessment council and the restructuring of Councils. The committee is working on a draft document for discussion next semester.

6. Old Business
At the last meeting, Professor Hayward raised the question of faculty retreats. He spoke with Dean Wick-Pelletier of the College of Arts and Sciences. She is collecting ideas on what direction she should proceed. Professor Hayward was satisfied with his discussion with the Dean.

7. New Business
a. Proposed Senate Bill: Changes in the Actuarial Program. Professor Hoyt reported that UAC did not have a lot of discussion on this program. Students are already being advised in this fashion. There being no discussion, it was agreed to forward the proposed Bill to the Senate.
b. Suggested Topic(s) and Date for the Fall Faculty Forum. Chair Pipkin reported that there were three topics for possible discussion: 1) a discussion of ways to make the Senate more representative, a topic he personally feels needs to be pursued; 2) a letter from Professor Monfasani proposing a fee-paying committee; and 3) a suggestion for a forum on the new School of Nanosciences and Nanoengineering. Chair Pipkin thought that this last topic (#3) might be too narrow a theme for a campus-wide Senate Faculty Forum. It was agreed that the first topic is the most important. It was suggested to invite a spokesperson from CAS to the Forum. It was also suggested to consider the surrounding communities as neighbors and invite key leaders on campus to speak. Professor Pryse suggested the topic be Encouraging Responsive and Responsible Faculty Governance.
c. Chronology of Nanosciences Curriculum Approval Process. Professor MacDonald reported that she received the curriculum on Thursday. She distributed it not only to GAC members but also to the Physics Department faculty and to the Chairs of the departments listed on the curriculum. She did this in an attempt for a greater flow of information. The curriculum will be discussed at the GAC meeting on November 1. She has scheduled another meeting for further discussion.
d. Proposed Senate Bill: Changes in the Academic Grievance Procedure. Professor Hoyt that this was the result of a case. It questions who has the authority to change a grade if the student is found innocent of the offense. This will make it possible to change the grade. The language comes from the Undergraduate Policy Manual. The same letter was received by GAC, reported Professor MacDonald. She asked that the proposed bill be sent to GAC for discussion.

The President suggested that the proposed bill be submitted to the legal office for review. Professor Hoyt will do so.

It was suggested to include references in the bill. Professor Hoyt noted that it was left vague so that it would encompass any University policy. It was suggested to speak with Dona Parker, who has a history with the faculty on this. Gregory Stevens serves on UAC and he works with Ms. Parker. As another check and balance, it was suggested to add "with consultation with the Dean of Undergraduate Studies." It was also suggested to remove "may" in the last sentence on number 4.

Chair Pipkin noted that it is not the responsibility of the Executive Committee to make changes. Comments were made to Professor Hoyt who will convey them to UAC. He will also send the proposed bill to GAC for discussion and a possible joint recommendation.

e. Letter from School of Nanosciences and Nanoengineering faculty. Chair Pipkin noted that the letter expresses enthusiasm about the school and its curriculum. He read the last paragraph of the letter, which asked Professor MacDonald to recuse herself from the curriculum discussion to avoid a potential conflict of interest. Chair Pipkin has spoken to Dean Mumpower about this.

Professor MacDonald stated that this is the first she has heard of this. She is not sure why there would be a conflict of interest. Chair Pipkin suggested that a meeting be held with Professor MacDonald, Deans Kaloyeros and Mumpower, Provost Santiago and himself to discuss this.

f. Chair Pipkin received an e-mail from Dean Kaloyeros stating that the Senate is made up of appropriate school/college representation. Chair Pipkin responded by saying that the By-Laws committee will review this suggestion.

8. Adjournment
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:20 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Hayward D. Horton