2002-2003 University Senate Executive Committee Meeting
April 7, 2003
Meeting Minutes

Members Present: D. Armstrong, R. Collier, R. Farrell, H. Horton, C. MacDonald, J. Pipkin, C. Santiago, J. Savitt, K. Smith, G. Spitze, T. Turner, E. Wulfert, G. Spitze

The meeting began at 3:40 p.m.

Approval of Minutes: The minutes of the February 24, 2003 meeting were unanimously approved.

President's Report: Provost Santiago reported on behalf of the President.

· Budget - not much changed since the last Executive Committee meeting. Provost Santiago will be meeting with URPAC on Friday to discuss two budget proposals. The first proposal includes a 6% cut over two years, predicated on the $1,200 undergraduate tuition increase. The second proposal includes a 10% cut over two years, with a 6% cut the first year and 4% cut in the second year; this is based upon $800 undergraduate level tuition.

· Admissions - trends still holding from last time this was spoken about, we are proceeding well in increasing a high quality enrollment and doctorate and master's levels are high also. We are sending letters to select students regarding the five-year program hoping to help improve retention of students at the high end. We will fund their first year of graduate studies, if they apply, thus allowing students to obtain a graduate degree in five years at a four-year tuition cost. There is a lot of interest from parents. We are anxious to see how it works out.

· Faculty searches - searches are moving forward, they are still our very highest priority. The departments have been told that if the first choice candidate does not take the offer, they can entertain an offer to their second choice only if the case can be made that the second is as qualified as the first candidate. Deans have been told (promised) that the resources behind faculty lines will remain in the colleges to be used at the discretion of the Dean if the search is unsuccessful.

· Senior level searches - the search for the VP for Finance and Business is now at the interview stage, four candidates are being reviewed. The VP for Research search has only just been launched. Two searches for the fall will be the Dean for Information Science and Policy in which there is a potential candidate, and a search for the Dean of Education, which is at the interview phase.

· Humanitech Semester - calendars were handed out. Provost Santiago said it has been very successful and has brought together faculty around issues of common interest. He is very pleased with the series of events and activities that people have participated in and he is glad it is going forward.

Provost Santiago opened the floor to Questions.

Donna Armstrong questioned the increase in the MA applications in Public Health, noting that graduate applications are about even to last year. Provost Santiago responded that at the MA level they are at about 1,985 compared to 1,992 of last year and up 16% at the doctoral level. He noted that there are three schools receiving a high level of interest in graduate applications, Education, Social Welfare and Public Health.

Hayward Horton inquired of the significance of Ph.d's going up and MA's going down. Provost Santiago indicated it may be public funding or the economy weakening, doctoral applications are cyclical to the economy. Provost Santiago indicated he will discuss looking at ratios of graduate and doctoral students at comparable institutions relative to faculty with URPAC. UAlbany's ratio is 9 to 1, whereas most institutions, even the University of Chicago has a ratio of 4.5 to 1. At UAlbany, growth has been at the doctoral level in past 14 years, the MA has experienced some growth, but not as much. The most expensive sector of our education has gone up over past 14 years. He would like to bring this to URPAC's attention and gather more data to realign our economics to better support doctoral students. He mentioned that we have put some additional tuition waivers in the School of Public Health.

Kirk Smith referred to the Humanitech semester, asking what would the next specialized semester be and when would it be decided? Provost Santiago responded that nothing has been decided yet and a decision may be slow going based upon budget considerations. It was asked how these specialized semesters are chosen or made up, Provost Santiago said there are no specific reasons, no structured mechanism for planning specialized semesters. For example, Albany Heritage was based upon community dates like the anniversary of Beverwyck and Humanitech grew out of a proposal from the English Department a couple years ago. Carolyn MacDonald suggested that UAC should be actively involved early in the process of reviewing ideas for future such semesters and might have valuable suggestions.

Council Report on CONE:

Ted Turner reported for CONE. He referred to the last meeting of the Executive Committee where the status of CONE was discussed. CONE is not a Senate function, it is a unique entity of faculty, whose duties are to create slates for senate at large elections for the University Senate, for URPAC and for CONE itself. CONE is in the process of doing that now, shortly a solicitation will go out, anyone supported by ten or more will have their names added. Marjorie Pryse asked what the apportionment for the School of Nanosciences was and Dick Farrell responded with either one or two Senators.

University Faculty Senate Report: Dick Collier reported on the results of the SUNY-Senate meeting.

· Budget - if tuition increase is $900 instead of $1200, there appears little commitment in the legislature for restoration, implying 5% cut of the operating budget. Good news is that TAP restoration may happen. There is a forthcoming announcement of $3 billion dollar SUNY fundraising a joint effort to coordinate and help financial aide and faculty development that is not in competition with campuses.

· University Sector - regarding graduate tuition/stipend concerns: opposed differential tuition in non-professional programs (e.g., MA vs. MS, MV vs. Ph.D); questions about legitimacy of honorary degrees; it was suggested that the 4 Division 1 board directors meet on a regular basis.

· Governance Committee - Cybersecurity policy effective March 7th (no Yahoo, etc., only state servers), data still to be collected, it may interfere with research subjects. Dick Miller indicated the CIO's on each campus are aware of and dealing with the issues raised, he likes the integrity of CERS, still working on disclosure draft.

· Student Life - International Student Symposium planned for fall, there are many issues. This fall there will be NO smoking in any SUNY residence hall as a result of the no smoking bill in workplaces.

· The Levin Institute - it is now officially a part of Stony Brook.

· General Education - GEAR: we are not approved, 40 of the 57 campuses are approved. GEN: Dick Collier referred to an article in ASP referring to how tuition will increase by 35% and announcing online courses. The article explained HVCC requirements and that taking courses over the summer will be at a lesser cost. System Administration disallows any knowledge of this announcement and they and the Faculty Council of CC requested to look into it. No particular action was taken. Courses were not approved by PACG, everyone is aware of imminent need to review it. Anyone interested should look at www.gen.com. Candace de Russy and Peter Salins say we need a system wide assessment. Potsdam Resolution: the Senate agreed Ken O'Brien of LGL's will contact each governance leader to request each SUNY campus approve this spring a resolution comparable to Potsdam's. Faculty senate is preparing a white paper and is going to contact individual Trustees, meanwhile the Senate will contact the Higher Education Conference Board (McCall).

Provost Santiago said the program of the four centers has not been approved - our bottom line is that in the construction of the Gen. Ed. program we need to take into account that each faculty teaches the same course, but it is taught in a different way by each faculty person. The other three programs have not been approved either, he contacted other provosts to confirm this. Our program was approved by the Senate, but it was deemed not approved, and he is trying to get the other three Provosts to agree on a common program. Dick Collier referred to Joe Burke's assessment in 1992 and Provost Santiago said it makes since for System Administration to make sure each campus plan is appropriate for itself; whereas Egan and de Russy want an exam.

Chair's Report: John Pipkin reported. He would like to resolve the matter of whether or not there is a need for another Senate meeting this year, and to discuss a forum. Marjorie Pryse reminded committee members that this year's and next year's Executive Committee members will get together late in May to discuss Council appointments for the 2003-2004 Senate. Dr. Wulfert responded that two faculty Senators and the Secretary should get together to plan. She said the first Executive Committee of the next year is where last year's and next year's members get together. John requested a meeting with Dr. Pryse, Dr. Wulfert and himself to discuss this further.

Bylaws: Carolyn MacDonald and John Pipkin met with the student associations to apprise them and asked for their input on changes in the Bylaws.

ULC: Kirk Smith reported nothing new to report, it is continuing its business.

CPCA: Nothing new to report, it is continuing its business

EPC: Dr. Wulfert reported that at its last meeting the Committee passed proposals for majors in East Asian and Japanese Studies and approved the new academic calendar for 04/05. Aside from Tuesday/Thursday classes, there will also be Monday/Wednesday classes available, and Friday afternoons will be kept open. Dr. Wulfert stated that EPC supports these changes, a bill is currently being written, and she requested that the bill be placed on this on this year's last Senate meeting agenda.

There was also a discussion about Fountain Day, as the Student Association has requested time off from classes to attend the festivities. It was suggested that Fountain Day be moved to a Friday afternoon if the new academic calendar passes, to avoid taking time off from classes.

Dr. Wulfert stated that EPC discussed faculty concerns about the new research centers on Campus and the idea of a faculty forum or other form of communication to provide accurate information about these research initiatives. She stated that she was charged with forming a committee that would begin to meet during the summer and assess what information should be gathered and how it should be disseminated to faculty. She asked for volunteers from the Executive Committee to participate.

GAC: Carolyn MacDonald reported. She is concerned that Senate Bill No. 0203-06, Procedures for Resolving Academic Grievances was passed, but was not approved by GAC. She wants it to go back to GAC for approval. GAC has not seen it back from UAC. She asked if Counsel has approved it. Joan Savitt expressed that she understood Counsel approved it without changes. Carolyn MacDonald will get it to GAC by email to see if she can get it approved.

Regarding Senate Bill No. 0203-05, Changes in Policy on Faculty Eligibility to Teach Graduate Courses was passed by GAC, Dick Collier said it does not talk about teaching at doctoral level. Carolyn MacDonald responded that current policy has no distinction, existing policy gives qualifications you need to have in order to teach graduate courses. Provost Santiago asked if Deans were consulted or provided input before this was presented and Carolyn MacDonald assured him that this bill was drafted in response to their concerns. She included that this bill applies to any graduate course, or doctorate level course. Donna Armstrong questioned the motivation behind the bill, and Carolyn MacDonald said professional schools have to routinely go through the process of rationalizing having non-doctorate teachers, GAC was feeling the process was breaking down, this will make it clear that it is considered important to the University.

UAC: Joan Savitt reported. New business is a revision to the last day for undergraduates to drop courses. Senate Bill No. 0203-07, Revision to the "Last Day for Undergraduates to Drop a Course" will push back the withdrawal date three weeks from where it is currently. It will be going from one week to 15 class days. This change will give students a more reasonable way to make the decision on what action to take. Clarification by Dick Farrell, there will be two withdrawal dates, one for graduate students and one for undergraduate students. Joan Savitt wants to bring 07 forward.

The proposal for a Bachelor of Arts in Broadcast Meteorology was passed. It was faculty initiated not a Senate Bill.

Senate Bill No. 0203-08, Majors in East Asian Studies and Japanese Studies has gone through UAC and EPC, now they are going to have the status of being listed as real majors, if approved by the Senate.

0203-06 -Procedures for Resolving Academic Grievances is in GAC, UAC and Counsel for review. GAC/UAC subcommittee made minor changes, then passed it, bringing it to executive council, hoping they will concur with it.

Carolyn MacDonald asked about the BA/MA in Public Policy, did it pass? Joan Savitt said there was an issue with the title and it was not passed. Dick Collier said someone was supposed to get back to us on it, it has not gone to Senate yet, nor has it passed UAC yet. It is now official, it was passed and the title will be changed, it will now become Senate Bill No. 0203-09. UAC meets weekly and will revise the title.

Regarding the renaming of the Human Biology Major, it is being withdrawn. EPC is holding it up, it was tabled to next EPC meeting. Dr. Wilkinson will attend the next EPC meeting, it will be placed on the Senate agenda as Senate Bill No. 0203-10. It will be circulate by email. It is being put forward to be a standard major like East Asian Studies and Japanese Studies. UAC approved all three - but Human Biology had possible resource implications and adding the words "and health" was a major issue. Those words were deleted.

RES: Bruce Dudek was unable to attend the meeting. He sent following update on Research. Research has met three times since the last Executive Committee meeting. Summary of primary activities are as follows:
1. Co-sponsored the Misconduct in Research and Scholarship Policy Framework adopted at the last Senate meeting. The final version of the bill reflected several recommendations coming from COR.
2. Evaluated this year's FRAP applications with a subcommittee composed of COR members and other faculty and recommended funding of approximately 16 proposals (out of 41 applications). Announcement of these awards has either already occurred, or will be made shortly.
3. Evaluated nine nominations for the President's Excellence in Research Award. A set of recommended recipients has been forwarded to the VPR and the President.
4. Several items of open business are still on the agenda and will be closed in one or two more meetings this year.

LISC: No new business.

CAFE: No new business.

Bylaws Committee: Carolyn MacDonald reported that the Bylaws Committee is meeting tomorrow.

Old Business: None.

New Business: John Pipkin stated that it at tomorrow's Bylaws meeting it will be decided whether or not there is a need for another Senate meeting this year.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:10 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,
Jayne VanDenburgh, Recorder