Summer Academic Institute (S.A.I.)
July 22 - August 16, 2013
The Summer Academic Institute (S.A.I.) is designed for International Students who have been accepted to the University at Albany for the Fall semester. The S.A.I.'s four week course will help students gain the confidence needed for academic success.
- 20 class contact hours per week
- Small, communicative classes
- Highly qualified faculty
- Friendly & relaxed atmosphere
- Introduction to the University and the Capital District.
- Access to University facilities
- Social & educational activities
- Certificate upon successful completion
- Building speaking fluency
- Developing presentation skills
- Strengthening listening skills
- Understanding academic lectures
- Developing note-taking skills
- Understanding academic texts
- Improving academic writing skills
- Gaining proficiency in library research skills
- Learning research doucmentation styles
Academic Reading and Writing
The goal of this course is to provide skills and strategies for reading and writing effectively at the university level. Students will.
- Read and analyze academic essays and journal articles
- Engage in critical analysis in class discussions and writing assignments
- Write persuasive and summary/response papers
- Conduct library research
- Learn proper style of documentation
The goal of this course is to help students develop their listening, speaking and note-taking skills and to gain confidence speaking in an academic English environment. Students will...
- Listen to college level lectures
- Practice strategies for taking well-organized and complete lecture notes
- Learn and practice the language of small and large-group discussions
- Learn and practice the language and structure of a formal oral presentation
The courses and activities in the Summer Academic Institute will help familiarize students with American culture and the University system.
SAI 2013 Estimated Charges
|Tuition - Summer Academic Institute:
|Application Fee (non-refundable):
|International Student Health Insurance:
|University Summer Service Fee:
|Total Tuition and Fees:
|Applications received by May 31, 2013 are guaranteed a seat.
Amounts reflected above are proposed rates for Summer 2013 and are subject to change. Please visit the Office of Student Accounts' website at www.albany.edu/studentaccounts for updated information.
Who may attend
The Summer Academic Institute will give priority to University at Albany international students who have been accepted for the Fall semester.
Please note: All students are expected to attend the entire four week session, attend all classes and complete all assignments. Classes are scheduled Monday through Friday. Students in the SAI are considered fully enrolled in the University at Albany and have access to all libraries and computing centers on campus.
How to apply
Please complete the SAI application form and return it by email, fax, or express mail. If your application form is faxed or emailed, the $80 Application Fee will be added to your UAlbany bill.
Click here to fill out the S.A.I. application form.
Summer Academic Institute Address:
Director - Intensive English Language Program
University at Albany, SUNY
Science Library G14
1400 Washington Ave
Albany, New York 12222 U.S.A.
Telephone: (518) 437-5040
FAX: (518) 591-8171