Physics Master of Science Degree Program
A minimum of 30 credits with an average grade of B or higher is required.
- Core courses in Physics (18 credits): Six courses with a B average or better (18 credits) chosen from the 8 core courses (Phy 507, 517, 527, 537, 547, 557, 577, 587).
- Research in physics, Phy 695 or 699, a minimum of 1 credit.
- Supporting courses (6-10 credits): A minimum of 6 credits in elective courses (not including research or seminar courses) in physics or in mathematics and sciences as advised. Courses in other academic fields or up to 3 credits of ETAP with the consent of the advisor.
- Satisfactory completion of a major field examination in physics, to consist of either the comprehensive examination passed at the master's level, or the successful defense of a master's thesis.
- Demonstration of proficiency in one of various research skills. Examples of appropriate skills are: foreign languages, computer programming, numerical analysis and technologies such as electronics. This may be demonstrated with Phy 577.