The Master of Arts or Master of Science for Teachers of an Academic Discipline (ACT)
ACT programs are suspended in anticipation of student needs being served by other School of Education programs.
These programs fulfill the academic requirements for permanent certification in the teaching field in New York State for teachers holding provisional certification.
Program of Study (33 credits minimum)
Requirements for the M.A. or M.S. in Mathematics or Science education:
Teacher education - mathematics and/or science education (18-21 credits minimum):
Courses as advised including:
Tap 652S or Tap 652M Teaching Mathematics (Science) in the Secondary School (3);
Tap 650 Microcomputers and the Math/Science Class (3-9);
Tap 680 or 681 Research Seminar in ETAP (3) or Tap 699 Master's Thesis;
Supporting courses as advised (12 credits minimum) including:
Academic field (6 credits minimum) selected from Atm, Bio, Chem, Csi, Geo, Mat, Phy as appropriate;
Foundations of education (6 credits minimum), with at least one course in educational and social thought, and one in human learning and development.
Program of Study (30 credits minimum)
Requirements for the M.A. or M.S. in English, World Languages, or Social Studies Education:
Specialized education courses (18 credits minimum):
* Teaching of Subject Field: Two courses in the teaching of the subject field (Tap courses as advised);
* Foundations of education (6 credits minimum), with at least one course in educational and social thought, and one in human learning and development.
* Educational Research and Measurement: One course such as: Psy 530, 540, 630, 640, 650, 750as advised;
* Tap 680 or 681 Research Seminar in ETAP or Tap 699 thesis;
Supporting courses as advised: 12 credits, including:
* A minimum of two courses in the principal subject;
* A minimum of two courses in professional education.