Forensic Sciences and Cyber Security
The Forensic Sciences and Cyber Security R&D Cluster will capitalize on the University’s internationally recognized strength in development of novel chemical analytical methodologies for crime scene forensics, an expansion of the Northeast Regional Forensics DNA training academy in partnership with the National Institutes of Justice and the New York State Police, and the development of digital forensic tools to pursue advances in forensic sciences.
Key features will include:
- Assembling a consortium of analytical chemists, DNA biologists and expert witnesses, material sciences physicists and computational experts into a world‐class team of forensics and cyber security scientists to expand the development of intellectual property for criminal investigation and forensic analysis.
- Creating the Forensic Technology Institute, a research and service center for local, state and federal law enforcement agencies that will develop new forensic methods, translate research discoveries to practical tools, and perform forensic evidence examination using the state‐of‐the‐art equipment and methodologies.
- Developing forensic and cyber security core facilities that meet the needs of both the scientific and the legal communities as well as cyber security and digital forensics analysis capabilities. Digital forensics is a fast growing field in which law enforcement and private companies will increasingly depend on academic support for developing procedures, tools, and standards.
- Partnering with businesses and industry to develop innovative analytical chemistry equipment technologies that could transform crime scene investigations locally, nationally, and even globally.
- Creating the forensic and cyber security workforce of the future through an expanded Forensic Chemistry undergraduate program - among only ten in the country accredited by the American Academy of Forensic Science - as well as a new digital forensics program.
To learn more about UAlbany's other NYSUNY 2020 research clusters, visit Climate and Environmental Science, Biomedical Science and Biotechnology and Advanced Data Analytics.