A journal for poetry, criticism, reviews, stories and essays published by
Ricardo and Isabel Nirenberg since 1998.
See our guidelines. Mail queries and contributions to: email@example.com
Offcourse gratefully acknowledges the server support provided by The University at Albany.
Issue #75, December 2018
We are sad to announce the death of Ken Denberg (1951-2018) whose poems last appeared in Offcourse #34, December 2008. Ken wrote, taught writing at UAlbany, taught rhetoric and composition at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY, ran The Snail's Pace Press and a winery in Washington County, where he lived and where he often went fly fishing with his friend Gene Garber.
- "All that Remains" and other poems by Rose Mary Boehm
- Viacheslav Kupriyanov, translated from the Russian by Alex Cigale
- "Aubade" and "Uno Más", poems by Joan Colby
- "Quillairaca" and "Sneaker Males", poems by Stuart Friebert
- Ute von Funcke translated from the German by Stuart Friebert
- "Time as Disease" and other poems by Lou Gallo
- "Fork in the Road" and other poems by Ricky Garni
- "The Briefest of Brief Encounters" and "Barbecue". Poems by John Grey
- "Huff and Puff" and two other poems by Philip Hammial
- "Cha-cha-cha", a story by Miriam Kotzin
- Prose Poems by Richard Krause
- "My Thirteenth Year", part 6 and last of a memoir by Ricardo Nirenberg
- New Poems by Simon Perchik
- "Covered", "Despair," and other poems by Louis Phillips
- "World's Strongest Man Called Upon to Lift Sleep," a short story by Ed Schorb
- "Ashes to Ashes" and other poems by J.R. Solonche
- Poems and a Fragment of a Memoir by Daniel J. Sundahl
- "Marche Militaire," a story by Robert Wexelblatt
- The Posthumous Papers of Sidney Fein, by Robert Wexelblatt, reviewed by R. Nirenberg
ISBN 978-1-938349-88-1 Pelekinesis (www.pelekinesis.com) 2018.
Between Question & Answer: Selected Poems of Ute von Funcke, Translated from the German by Stuart Friebert, is now available from Pinyon Publishing in Montrose, Colorado (6"x9" paperback, 152 pages, ISBN: 978-1-936671-52-6, $18.00).
See also: https://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/blog/cultural-cross-sections/white-asparagus-remembering-tankred-dorst-stuart-friebert
Me and Sal Paradise, by Ch. Rammelkamp, is now available from Future Cycle Press.org
Basic Forms, by Fred Skolnik, is now available on Amazon or directly at Regal House Publishing.
Issue #74, September 2018
We mourn the death of Harry Staley. Some of his poems appeared in the Spring 2001 issue and his book "All in one Breath: Selected Poems", The Snail's Pace Press, was reviewed by Robert W. Greene in the Spring 2002 issue. Paul Grondahl's tribute to Staley appeared in the Albany Times Union in August 14, 2018.
Congratulations to Rachel King on on her new poetry chapbook, published through dancing girl press. The chapbook includes "Returning" and "Near the Solstice," which were first published in Offcourse in December 2016.
Issue #73, June 2018.
- "Not Fake Poems" and more by Vincent M. Bell
- "Observations on Prince Rupert's Dogge called Boye (1643)," by Francis Blessington
- "Professional Middle-class Couple 1927" and "Skilled Tradesman and his Wife 1923", poems by Alan Catlin derived from photographs by August Sander
- "After Many Years," a short story by Alzo David-West
- "Carnivores," a short satirical story by Salvatore Difalco
- New Poems by Louis Gallo
- Poems by Robert King
- Two Poems by Steven Klepetar
- "Negative Capability in Glenwood Springs" and two other poems by Miriam Kotzin
- "Robert Hook Keeps a Diary (1672-1683)," poems by Louis Phillips
- "Curse of Late Birth" and more poems by Frederick Pollack
- New Poems by J.R. Solonche
- "Punk Monastery Poems" by Peter Waldor
- "To the Shadow of Aunt Louise", a story by Sarah White
- "The early Clint Eastwood" and two other poems by Mark Young
- Reviews: Poems from Underground, by Francis Blessington, Deerbrook Ed. 2017,
and Life and Opinions of Doctor Bop the Burnt-Out Prof and Other Poems, by E. M. Schorb, Kelsay Books, 2018.
Congratulations to Frederick Pollack on his new book, Landscape with Mutant (Smokestack Books, UK, 2018).
Issue #72, March 2018
- Poems by Patricia Phillips-Batoma
- "Thalweg" and other poems by Stuart Friebert
- Three poems by Louis Gallo
- Three poems by John Grey
- "My Father at the Window," and two other poems by Steven Klepetar
- "Neighbors," a story by Alf Marks
- "My Thirteenth Year", part V of a memoir by Ricardo Nirenberg
- Poems by Simon Perchik
- "The Lever" and other poems by Louis Phillips
- Three Poems by Charles Rammelkamp
- "April," a poem by J.R. Solonche
- "Airheads," a story by Harvey Sutlive
- "Help from the Goddess," and two other poems by Sarah White
- Matthew Phillips, The Island's Only Escape, Pleasure Boat Studio, 2018. Review by Ricardo Nirenberg
- Tim Suermondt, The World Doesn't Know You, Pinyon Publishing 2017, presented by Isabel Nirenberg