2. What resources can my department offer to help me in my teaching?
Your department office and chair will be invaluable to you in orienting yourself to your position and in the day-to-day work of running your courses efficiently. It is crucial that you discuss any problems you are having with your department as they arise to help ensure resolution before you get in over your head. Here are some questions that you might want to ask:
- Do you have any examples of syllabi for the course(s) Iím teaching?
- How do I get permission numbers to let students in my course? (Each department tends to have its own policy about these numbers.)
- How can I get help with photocopying or training to use the department photocopier?
- Do I have an office and who am I sharing it with? Where do I get keys?
- If I donít have an office, is there a quiet area in the department where I can meet with students?
- Can you help me with ordering textbook desk copies for myself and/or textbooks for my students?
- Do you have a list of phone numbers/contact information for other faculty and key staff?
- Do I have access to a faculty mentor?
- Are there service or volunteer opportunities available for me to participate in if I want to, in addition to my teaching duties?
- Am I allowed or expected to attend department meetings?
- Is there a department listerv that I can I be added to?