|<<<||Return to SERVICE LEARNING||>>>|
2. What are the options for structuring a Service Learning experience?
In many cases, service learning is done as its own course, but there are many other ways to incorporate service learning into your curriculum. Each instructor must decide how service learning can best be incorporated into learning goals and what to look out for in each case. In general service learning can be used as:
+ Students are able to incorporate learning from many courses
- Not all students have had the same classes and experiences
+ It can incorporate different learning styles and will diversify class discussion.
- Students might see service-learning as the 'easy way out'
+ Only self-motivated students will do this.
- It is harder to incorporate it into the class.
+ Students will all have similar experiences. (bonding factor)
- Some students will have considerable trouble participating. (transportation, child care…)
|Return to SERVICE LEARNING|