ITLAL offers a variety of services to allow you to digitize your existing media into formats that are exportable for a wide range of uses, such as in web pages and in visual or audio presentations. Access to these files can be managed through your online course or through any course-related website.The following services are available:
Audio and Video conversion to Streaming Media: Digitize from CD, DVD, VHS, Hi-8, Mini DV, audio cassette, and Laser Disc. We can create content in the digital format of your choice, and are able to provide you space to host items created in the Real Media format on the University's (password-protected) media server. Please fill out this form and bring it in along with the media you wish to be digitized.
Digitization of Slides: Turn your standard slides or 35mm negatives into digital images that you can use in PowerPoint presentations, or post to your online course, etc.
Document Scanning: Turn a photograph, image or text into a digital file (.pdf, .tif, etc.) for electronic distribution to your students. Text documents can be digitized either as an image or as an editable text document (depending on the quality of the original).Procedures and Guidelines
- For simple scans of pictures and documents, we will show you how to use the equipment and software, so that you can produce your own digital files.
- For more complex tasks, such as the digitization of films, our staff can make the conversions for you. The turnaround time will vary depending on demand and time of year. We ask that you deliver materials to us a few weeks before you actually need them for class. To be fair to all of our users, items are processed in the order that they were received. Demand makes it impossible for us to accommodate "emergency" requests that would jump the existing queue. Large projects that require a long production timeline can be better managed during the summer months. Check with us about other seasonal down time.
- ITLAL staff cannot do extensive editing of audio or video clips for instructors, but we will be happy to show you how to do this on our equipment.
- The materials digitized by ITLAL or by you using ITLAL equipment must comply with all appropriate fair use and copyright guidelines. It is your responsibility as the instructor to make sure that all of your materials meet these guidelines, or to secure the appropriate written permission from the copyright holder.
- The request for materials must come from the faculty member or assistant who is the instructor of record for the course graduate teaching. We are not able to accept requests from non-teaching graduate students, undergraduate teaching assistants or students in your class.
Reserve a computer station and arrange for a staff member's help to learn how to do any of the activities listed above. Please indicate the times of your availability on this consultation request form. Someone will get back to you within 2 business days to confirm your request or offer an alternative time.
For questions or clarifications regarding Media Services, please contact ITLAL at 442-5521 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.