The Public Health Response to Smallpox
Dr. Guthrie (Gus) Birkhead, MD, MPH, Director, AIDS Institute and Center for Community Health, NY State Department of Health
Dr. John Treanor, MD, Associate Professor, Division of Infectious Disease, University of Rochester
This program addresses key issues pertaining to smallpox including:
- Federal vaccination policy
- Concerns of smallpox as a bioterrorism agent
- Vaccine availability
- Complications of smallpox vaccination
- Steps to minimize side effects
- Side effects treatment
- Contraindications of vaccination
- Demonstration of how to administer the smallpox vaccine.
Satellite broadcast originally aired January 30, 2003. Presented in conjunction with the UAlbany Center for Public Health Preparedness.