Breastfeeding Grand Rounds 2010
Promoting Breastfeeding-friendly Hospital Practices
Originally presented on August 5, 2010
Ruth Lawrence, MD
Professor of Pediatrics and Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry, and author of "Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession"
Trish MacEnroe, Executive Director
Baby Friendly USA
Moderator: Mary Applegate, MD, MPH
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, University at Albany School of Public Health, Director, NYS Preventive Medicine Residency Program
Hospital policies and practices have a profound impact on breastfeeding initiation rates and on long-term breastfeeding success. This year's Breastfeeding Grand Rounds will focus on pro-breastfeeding hospital practices, including UNICEF's Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, and on efforts to promote those practices, including the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative.
As a result of viewing this broadcast, participants will be able to:
- Describe the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
- Explain why the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding are important practices for birthing facilities to adopt
- Describe the global Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative
- Describe the 4-D Pathway for Baby-Friendly Designation within the United States
- Describe federal, state, municipal government efforts to promote the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
This program was sponsored by the New York State Department of Health and funded by the USDHHS/HRSA Maternal and Child Health Bureau.