As part of an overall reform of the NYS ethics law, NYS enacted the Public Integrity Reform Act of 2011(PIRA). Among the items the legislation called for was the creation and maintenance of a database by the Office of General Services. This database ("Project Sunlight") is designed to collect information from state agencies on the interactions between state decision makers and those seeking to influence the decisions made by the state decision makers.
The University is required to report appearances with outside parties within five (5) business days of the appearance. A reportable appearance is one which involves a "substantive interaction" between the University and a third party. A "substantive interaction" is one which is meant to impact decision making and is before a decision maker or one who advises the decision maker. The interaction can be in-person, by telephone or video conference. Letters, e-mails and faxes are not considered to be interactions for Project Sunlight.
The following types of appearances are reportable under Project Sunlight:
1. Procurement of state contracts;
3. Regulatory matters;
4. Judicial or quasi-judicial proceedings; and
5. Rule-making per the State Administrative Procedures Act.
To report an appearance please complete the Project Sunlight Form and fax to Purchasing and Contracts at (518)-437-4571.
Appearances that are not reportable under Project Sunlight are as follows:
1. Appearances by elected officials, executive or legislative officials;
2. Appearances during restricted period;
3. Minority and women-owned business enterprise outreach;
4. Contact initiated by the University; and
For procurement purposes, an appearance is reportable even if there is no planned procurement.
In the event of a planned procurement, the procurement must be for $25,000 or more and the appearance must occur outside of the "restricted period" for it to be reportable. The "restricted period" of the procurement is the period of time commencing with the earliest notice of the procurement and terminating with the final approval of the procurement by the New York State Office of the State Comptroller. Reporting during the restricted period is subject to State Finance Law and Public Officers Law.
Please see http://www.albany.edu/purchasing/state_funded/procurement_lobbying_act_sf.html for additional information.
Under Project Sunlight, the following information is to be reported:
1. Date of Appearance;
2. The Name(s) of all campus employees who attended the meeting;
3. Type of Appearance (In-Person; Telephone; Video-Conference);
4. Meeting Location (Street Address, City, State, Zip Code);
5. Meeting Reason (Procurement; Rate-making; Regulatory matters; Judicial or quasi-judicial proceeding; or Rule-making);
6. Vendor Information:
a. Name of Vendor;
b. Name of Individual(s);
c. Vendor Street Address, City, State, Zip;
7. If an Outside Entity Represented the Vendor, please provide
a. Name of Outside Entity;
b. Name of Vendor they represent;
c. Name of Individual(s);
d. Outside Entity Street Address, City, State, Zip;
If you have a reportable appearance, please contact the Office of Purchasing and Contracts at 437-4579 within two business days of said appearance.
Governor's Counsel Office Mandate
Project Sunlight FAQs
Project Sunlight Substantive Training PowerPoint
Project Sunlight Technical Training PowerPoint