The University's Rapid Copy Center provides a full range of duplication services including black and white copies, color copies, and bindery services. Through its Digital Storefront service, the Rapid Copy Center offers a convenient desktop service.
The purchase of business cards, letterhead, and envelopes printed with either the University's or the Research Foundation's logo and information can be done via our online stationery-ordering site. In order to access the stationery-ordering site you must first register as a user with the Office of Research Funded Purchasing & Contracts.
If your needs are not met by the Rapid Copy Center or the online stationery site an the Office of Research Funded Purchasing and Contracts will need to contract an outside vendor. Please see Other Printed Items for the steps on using an outside vendor.
GRAPHIC IDENTITY MANUAL
The official policies and standards for the design of University at Albany stationery, publications, and other applications are also available within the University's Graphic Identity Manual.
In addition to its offering of marketing services to the Campus Community, the University's Marketing Services Office sets forth the standards, which are to be followed for among other areas letterhead and business cards, publications, merchandise and web site development.
BUSINESS REPLY CARDS OR ENVELOPES
Business reply cards and envelopes must meet specific United States Postal Service requirements. For these items, Mail Services needs to be contacted to ensure that the postal permits are used properly and that the sample meets current postal regulations. Mail Services can provide a free of charge mechanical which is produced by the U.S.P.S., which will ensure that the card or envelope are acceptable for mailing. Please contact Mail Services or 442-3271 to request a mechanical or for additional information.
Once you have received the mechanical and once the sample meets current postal regulations, you are to submit the mechanical and the sample with a Research Funded Purchase Requisition to the Office of Research Funded Purchasing & Contracts for processing.
OTHER PRINTED ITEMS
The procedures for the procurement of printing services are the same purchasing guidelines that apply to all other purchase.
Any request for printing items should include:
- An executed Research Funded Purchase Requisition detailing the items to be procured.
- Samples if available. Any changes to the sample must be clearly noted on the printed sample.
- Specifications. If no sample is available, a specification sheet of the proposed item is to be submitted. The department will be required to provide the technical aspects to printed products.
- Vendor Quotes. If providing quotes, be sure vendor quotes meets the sample/specifications provided.
The Office of Research Funded Purchasing & Contracts can assist you with vendor selections or recommendations. It is important to keep in mind some important tips for procuring printing services:
- Specifications - Be as detailed as possible when writing the specifications for printed items. Be sure to include quantity required, paper, ink colors, binding/finishing and delivery instructions. If substitutes for paper or ink colors are acceptable, they must be noted with the specifications.
- Time Frame - Printing is not an overnight process. Be sure to plan for adequate lead-time for the processing of your requisition, quotations, and printing of your project. Some services and products require additional time or allow for manufacturing and completion of your products.
- Proofs - Requesting a proof prior to printing will add to production time.
- Quantities - Printing is a multiple process, the cost per unit goes down as the quantity goes up. Be sure to take into consideration your total needs, and storage capabilities.
- Delivery instructions - Be sure to include any specific deliver instructions that might apply. Addition charges could apply for orders not delivered on campus.
As with all procurements, planning ahead may save significant costs and time to your departments.
For more detailed information and instructions in obtaining price quotes for print orders, contact the Office of Research Funded Purchasing & Contracts at 437-4579.