Institutional Services |Purchasing and Contracts |Research Funded Purchasing | Form W-9
It is the responsibility of the Office of Purchasing and Contracts to collect from each vendor from which the Research Foundation does business with a Form W-9.
Prior to execution of a contract or prior to the issuance of a purchase order, the Purchasing Agent will require a valid, current W-9 to be on file in the Office of Purchasing and Contracts. The Research Foundation requires a new Form W-9 on a yearly basis.
Sole proprietors who are not U.S. citizens and businesses organized/incorporated outside of the United States are required to complete and submit to the University one of the below listed IRS Form W-8s.
- IRS Form W-8BEN: Beneficial owner solely claiming foreign status or treaty benefits.
- IRS Form W-8ECI: A person claiming that income is effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States.
- IRS Form W-8ECI or IRS Form W-8IMY: A foreign partnership, a foreign simple trust, or a foreign grantor trust.
- IRS Form W-8ECI or IRS Form W-8EXP: A foreign government, international organization, foreign central bank of issue, foreign tax exempt organization, foreign private foundation, or government of a U.S. possession that received effectively connected income or that is claiming the applicability of IRS section(s) 115(2), 501(c), 892, 895, or 1443 (b).
- IRS Form W-8IMY: A person acting as an intermediary
Once executed, the Form W-9 and if required, the Form W-8, can be e-mailed to email@example.com, faxed to 518-437-4571, or mailed to The University at Albany, Office of Purchasing and Contracts, 1400 Washington Avenue, MSC 302, Albany, NY 12222.