UAlbany to Giants Training Camp Visitors: Let's Podiate
Walking tour leads visitors from Giants training camp to University landmarks
Contact(s): Catherine Herman (518) 956-8150ALBANY, N.Y. (July 22, 2008) -- The University at Albany-SUNY invites visitors of the New York Giants Training Camp, in its 13th year at UAlbany, to tour the campus. The five-stop walking tour includes a stroll around the University's prominent academic podium, an architecturally-unique modernist structure featuring 13 academic buildings and two distinctive fountains on a raised platform, where students and visitors socialize, or "podiate." The campus was designed by renowned architect Edward Durell Stone.
The self-guided tour also highlights other campus landmarks:
Minerva -- Embodying the Strong Foundation of a UAlbany Education
- Goddess of wisdom and enduring symbol of the University at Albany.
- Seven-foot-tall statue has resided at the University since the late 1880s and symbolizes the strong foundation of knowledge offered by the University.
- Located in the spacious atrium of UAlbany's Science Library.
- Heart of campus life at UAlbany.
- Serves students, faculty, professional staff, alumni, and guests.
- Home to the University's Barnes & Noble bookstore.
Academic Podium -- Experience UAlbany's Modern Vision
- Built in the 1960s, the UAlbany Uptown Campus was designed by famed modernist architect Edward Durell Stone.
- Features include the academic podium; the carillon -- a tower located in the fountain pool with an organ at its base; the fountain -- site of UAlbany's Fountain Day; and the University's libraries, which boast more than two million volumes and are ranked among the top 100 academic research libraries in North America.
- Performing Arts Center, a jewel in the crown of UAlbany, houses the departments of Theatre and Music.
- University Art Museum, one of the Northeasts leading exhibitors of contemporary art, contains three galleries and more than 9,000 square feet of exhibition space to accommodate six to eight exhibitions by renowned artists each year.
University Hall — Where a World of Opportunity Begins
- Opened in fall 2006, University Hall is the University's newest structure and welcome center.
- Designed as "a sculpture," adorned externally with 3,500 glass panels. Inside is a diverse array of artwork from University Art Museum collections of contemporary art.
- University Hall is also home to the Undergraduate Admissions Office.
Walking tour brochures are available online.
For more news, subscribe to UAlbany's RSS headline feeds
Educationally and culturally, the University at Albany-SUNY puts "The World Within Reach" for its 18,000 students. An internationally recognized research university with 56 undergraduate majors and 128 graduate degree programs, UAlbany is a leader among all New York State colleges and universities in such diverse fields as public policy, nanotechnology and criminal justice. With a curriculum enhanced by 300 study-abroad opportunities, UAlbany launches great careers. For more information about this globally ranked University, visit www.albany.edu. For UAlbany's extensive roster of faculty experts, visit www.albany.edu/news/experts.shtml.