Search International Student & Scholar Services for:

USCIS Status Change

A change of visa status to F1 is possible from several visa categories (for example F2, H1, H4). It may be possible to change nonimmigrant status in the U.S. As each situation is different, you must consult with ISSS for details.

The USCIS reviews applications for change of status based on the applicant's ability to document and justify a change of intent upon arrival to the U.S. Applications for change of status shortly after arrival arouse suspicion that the individual purposely misrepresented his/her intentions to obtain a U.S. visa and enter the country.

For more information on changing status in the U.S., see

To request an I-20 for change of status from ISSS click here.


Link to ISSS How to Make A Gift Page

Contact Information

International Student & Scholar Services

Science Library G-40
University at Albany
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222 U.S.A.

Office Hours:

9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
Advisement 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Monday through Friday


Phone 518-591-8189
Fax: 518-591-8171

International Student Advising Hours:

Main Campus:

Monday-Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm in Science Library G40

Downtown Campus (Alumni Quad):

Waterbury Hall Transfer/International Student Lounge

Every Other Wednesday:
OCTOBER 14, 28—10/28 signing Event for Travel
NOVEMBER 11 (no advising on November 25)
DECEMBER 9— Signing Event for Travel

East Campus (School of Public Health):

Student Affairs Room 120

Every Other Tuesday
DECEMBER 1—I-20 Signing Event for Travel

International Insurance Office

9:00 AM to 4:30 PM EST
Monday through Friday


Phone: (518) 591-8185
Fax: (518) 591-8171