NOTE: ALL international students (F-1, J-1) and their spouses (F-2, J-2) must send required information whether or not they earned money in the year 2012 (01/01/2012 – 12/31/2012)! No Exceptions!! If you did not earn money, please pick up the form 8843 in ISSS. These forms are due by June 15, 2013.
- If you did earn money, please pick up the following forms (or download them from the websites): • US Federal Tax Forms (IRS) – www.irs.gov
• 1040NR or 1040 NR-EZ (and the instruction books)
• Form 8843
- New York State Tax Forms – www.tax.ny.gov
• IT 203 (and the instructions) – if you are a non-resident for tax purposes (all undergraduates and graduates in the USA less than 183 days in 2012)
• IT 203-B
• IT 150 (and the instructions) – if you are a resident for tax purposes (graduate students who maintained a residence in New York State for more than 11 months in 2012 and were in the USA for more than 183 days)
Note: Non-Earning Students must file IRS Form 8843 only!
- Attend the ISSS Income Tax Workshop on March 27th at 6:00 pm in the Standish Room, Science Library 3rd floor. (sign-up at ISSS).
- See ISSS for print-outs of the IRS and NYS Tax PowerPoint presentations for international students (in the binders).
- Check out SUNY Buffalo's webcast of the presentation.
- Contact the IRS for Federal tax information:
a. IRS Telephone Advice: 1-800-829-1040 (for general information only)
b. IRS Website: www.irs.gov
c. International Customer Service: 215-516-2000 (may be more helpful)
d. Local IRS Taxpayer Assistance: Albany IRS Office, Leo O’Brien Federal Bldg., Basement Level
Clinton Ave. & North Pearl St. Albany, NY
- Contact the New York State Tax Department for information:
a. Information by Telephone: 518-457-5181 (foreign language assistance available)
b. Website: www.tax.ny.gov