- Do maintain full-time enrollment status
at all times;
Undergraduate and graduate students need to be registered for a minimum of 12 credits to retain "full-time" status. Under certain circumstances, if you have a teaching or graduate assistantship or are a research student pursuing only research credits, you may be allowed to register for fewer credits to be in full-time status. Please confirm with ISSS office if you need any clarifications.
- Do make note of the expiration date of your passport, I-20, Visa and ensure that proper extensions are made in time;
- Do follow USCIS transfer procedures when changing programs or schools;
- Do keep your I-20 or DS-2019 form up to date;
- Do seek extension of stay before your I-20 or DS-2019 expires;
If you need more time to finish your educational program, be sure to take care of this within the 30 day period before current expiration of I-20 or DS-2019.
- Do obtain the signature of a DSO (Designated School Official) in ISSS on your I-20 or DS-2019 before you leave the U.S. (that is if you plan to reenter the U.S. in the same status);
- Do expect a wait of at least 5 working days for ISSS to process your documents.
- Do Not lose your documents. Make photocopies of everything because it makes replacement easier if you do lose them!
- Do Not rely on information from other students when it comes to USCIS, Immigration and Visa matters!
- Do Not work without the appropriate employment