Michael J. Hindelang Fellowship
Doctoral Studies in Criminal Justice
Hindelang Fellowships are available to outstanding students pursuing doctoral studies in criminal justice. Each award carries an academic year stipend of $20,000, plus full tuition. The successful candidate gets to choose a project to work on within the Hindelang Center.
The School of Criminal Justice at the University at Albany offers a comprehensive, interdisciplinary approach to the study of crime, and since its inception in 1968, has been viewed as one of the premiere programs in the field. The faculty of the School and the Hindelang Criminal Justice Research Center are committed to scholarship and research of the highest level and to the education of doctoral students to carry on this tradition. A full range of courses, as well as teaching and research opportunities, are available at the School.
Michael J. Hindelang was a member of this faculty from 1970 until his death in 1982. During his brilliant career as a researcher and teacher, he pioneered new areas of criminological research, advanced theoretical and methodological frontiers of our field, and helped educate a generation of students who shared his zeal and enthusiasm for criminal justice research. This Fellowship program is established to continue the tradition of excellence he began by providing financial support for outstanding new doctoral students.
The School of Criminal Justice
- Rated #2 by U.S. News & World Report (among graduate criminal justice programs). Extensive opportunities for participation in research. Leads to careers in higher education, research, and management positions in criminal justice.
- Nationally recognized "Albany Model" of criminal justice education, brings together distinguished faculty from the disciplines of Sociology, Political Science, Psychology, Law, and Criminal Justice, among others.
- Home of the Hindelang Criminal Justice Research Center.
For additional information or application
- School of Criminal Justice
- University at Albany, SUNY
- 135 Western Avenue, DR-219
- Albany, NY 12222
Telephone: (518) 442-5210
FAX: (518) 442-5212